Frozen Eggs??????

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by jeepers210, Dec 6, 2010.

1. jeepers210

jeepers210 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 21, 2010
    Hanover PA
    Here in central PA the days are in the 20's -30's right now. My older RIR's are consistant with their laying and I usually can get their eggs before I go to work around 7am. Latley my EE's have started laying and it's after I have left in the mornings. My coop is not heated and I think the eggs are frozen in the afternoon when I get them (or atleast they feel frozen). What is the protocol with frozen eggs? Are they any good?? Anyone else with a similar situation???

2. dsqard

dsqard Crazy "L" Farms

Jun 11, 2010
    York PA
    You can eat them once they thaw out. They are still good. If you were hoping to hatch them, I am pretty sure that wouldn't work. [​IMG]

3. jeepers210

Sep 21, 2010
    Hanover PA
    no plans on hatching just eating. Thanks!

4. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    yup-if they are not cracked from being really frozen just sit them out to thaw-they are fine:)

5. Gold Griffin Chicken Mom

Gold Griffin Chicken Mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2010
    Suffolk, Virginia
    Finding a hidden nest in freezing weather is always fun. I was amazed when my parents came inside and kept pulling eggs from all their pockets. They had thought the hens were on strike for Winter, but they were sneaking behind the coop and laying there. I think this was 30 years ago, but still something to watch out for, lol.

That time was extra "special" due to the sheer number of eggs that needed washing and thawing. I collected a dozen eggs last evening. If they weren't frozen, they didn't miss it by much. Four needed cleaning, so they all are sitting on the counter in a special carton. When I get a chance I'll wipe them with a damp paper towel and store them properly in the fridge.

6. jeepers210

Sep 21, 2010
    Hanover PA
    I am new to chickens and greatful for every word of advice.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by