frozen eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by cntrygrl10, Dec 7, 2010.

1. cntrygrl10

cntrygrl10 New Egg

Jan 29, 2010
    Ohio
    I am not able to get my eggs out of the coop before they freeze. I'm in Ohio and it is in the 20's. I am noticing more cracked eggs and am guessing it is because they are freezing. I got 5 eggs this morning and 3 had hairline craks. I don't think they are pecking at them as they never have beofre. Anyone else having this problem.

2. tammye

tammye Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2010
    NH
    oh yes we are, getting very cold here in NH. I either give the frozen/cracked eggs to the dogs or cook with them asap, no problem so far. Stay warm, burrrrr

3. bills

bills Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2008
    vancouver island
    Chances are the shell was the only thing to break, and not the outer membrane of the egg. Still the off chance of some contamination, so I would use them for baking, or as tammye does, feed them to the animals/chickens after cooking them..

4. cntrygrl10

cntrygrl10 New Egg

Jan 29, 2010
    Ohio
    Yeah, I've been feeding them back to the hens which of course they are very excited about. The dog got two this morning. Guess I better try harder to get them before they freeze!

5. celticfarmer

celticfarmer Out Of The Brooder

Apr 30, 2009
    Northern MN
    Quote:This happens time to time, but mostly the membrane stays intact. i just put them in a tupperware in the fridge and if they haven't leaked anything out by the time they are defrosted I scramble them up and eat them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by