***Frozen Eggs***

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by baileychic, Dec 10, 2010.

1. baileychic

baileychic Out Of The Brooder

Mar 3, 2010
    Delavan, WI
    Are they any good or just garbage now?

2. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    Keep them frozen until you are ready to use them and they'll be safe. Thaw just before you need them.

3. baileychic

baileychic Out Of The Brooder

Mar 3, 2010
    Delavan, WI
    Thank you!

4. Mogli

Mogli Chillin' With My Peeps

i didnt know eggs could freeze out in the coop in the wintertime now i know they do cause a lady that i work for told me to check for eggs a few times a day in the winter cause they will freeze im like oh thanks for telln me i never know when there gonna lay an egg in the winter:lol:

5. Denninmi

Denninmi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    If they are frozen and the shell is cracked, what I do is take them in, immediately rinse in hot water to clean the surface, and then crack them right into a freezer bag and pop into the freezer for later use in baking, scrambled eggs, quiche, etc. I've done this with a lot of eggs in the past 2 winters, and it works out fine. The frozen eggs pop right out of the shells after a quick rinse in hot tap water.

If the shell hasn't split, it's not a problem, when they thaw, you won't know the difference, except the white might be a bit thinner than it would have been.

6. NuBChick80

NuBChick80 New Egg

May 13, 2010
    Middleburg, Florida
    Would it be ok to place a heating pad on low under the laying box at night? My hen just started laying and I'm in Florida but it gets down to the teens already here. I am new to the whole hen laying thing well chickens completely but just curious. I have had 1 frozen cracked one.

7. digger MN

digger MN Out Of The Brooder

Dec 5, 2010
    Want to answer the getting down to the teens in Florida. I am here in Minnesota and allot of the winter around here we would pray for it to get up to the teens during the day sometimes. The highs have been there the last few days and my chickens are going out like it is summer again. This is my first year doing this too. but so far been working great with no heat in coop. None frozen yet. Will be going way down below zero next week. We will see what happen then. They adjust to the cold. Warm them up and put them outside. That would be like us going out below zero with wet hair. TROUBLE !!!!

8. GOSPELSOLDIER

GOSPELSOLDIER Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2008
    new britain
    Well i have a question sorta i believe... can a frozen egg be thawed out and then set in an incubator and still hatch? Just thinking because a couple family members froze her eggs and then they went trough an In vitro fertilisation but the eggs where in a freezer for months before they actually re implanted her and i have two new nephews perfectly ok. So, does this or can this happen for chciken eggs?
    Just wondering!

9. Denninmi

Denninmi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    Quote:It's not the same. When human ova are frozen in liquid nitrogen (which is something like -180 degrees), it's instantaneous, and there is absolutely no time for ice crystals to form. And, it's the ice crystals that pierce the cells and kill them. Freezing a chicken egg in a home freezer or outside on a cold night would NOT protect it like liquid nitrogen does, most likely.

Don't let that discourage you -- it would be an interesting experiment, and you never know, it might work. But, the other issue -- if the shell cracks, it's ruined, and I suspect you'll find most shells will crack, because the eggwhite will expand as it freezes. So, if you try, you've got to find a frozen one that didn't crack.

10. AinaWGSD

AinaWGSD Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Sullivan, IL
    Quote:It's not the same. When human ova are frozen in liquid nitrogen (which is something like -180 degrees), it's instantaneous, and there is absolutely no time for ice crystals to form. And, it's the ice crystals that pierce the cells and kill them. Freezing a chicken egg in a home freezer or outside on a cold night would NOT protect it like liquid nitrogen does, most likely.

Don't let that discourage you -- it would be an interesting experiment, and you never know, it might work. But, the other issue -- if the shell cracks, it's ruined, and I suspect you'll find most shells will crack, because the eggwhite will expand as it freezes. So, if you try, you've got to find a frozen one that didn't crack.

Also, when human ova are frozen for in vitro fertilization the eggs are not yet fertilized. They are fertilized after they are thawed and right before being implanted. Freezing after fertilization would kill any developing embryo.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by