1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Frozen eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by jarcoo0153, Feb 2, 2011.

1. jarcoo0153

jarcoo0153 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2010
    Levelland, Texas
    With temps close to 0 degrees, My eggs are freezing, I dispose of the split ones, but I was wondering if the ones that are froze but aren't split o.k. to eat?

2. Soaring Chicks

Soaring Chicks Soaring Hawks Farm

Jan 3, 2010
    Henderson,NC
    yes they are fine.

3. svchic

svchic Out Of The Brooder

Feb 2, 2011
    Some of the nutrients may have evaporated, but I think that they would be fine.

4. tinychicky

tinychicky Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2010
    Hollis, New Hampshire
    i got a frozen shelless egg the other day... very strange! anyway, frozen eggs are fine to eat but not to hatch!

5. MyKidLuvsGreenEgz

MyKidLuvsGreenEgz Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2011
    Colorado Plains
    I'm keeping my frozen eggs and next time I bake treats for the girls, I'll throw the whole egg in the blender (incl shell), then add the rest of the ingredients. Good source of calcium for them to make more shells.

I have 2 frozen in my fridge right now, and will probably make treats on Friday.

6. NottinghamChicks

NottinghamChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

I have been letting them get to room temp on the counter and then put them in the fridge with the rest. I have been eating them and found no problems at all.

7. jarcoo0153

jarcoo0153 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2010
    Levelland, Texas
    Ok great, I wasn't sure if they were still good!

8. bordergurl

bordergurl Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2010
    Niagara Region
    Frozen eggs thaw and are quite edible. Had quite a few during our cold snap in January!

9. AinaWGSD

AinaWGSD Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Sullivan, IL
    How can you tell if an egg is frozen if it has not cracked? I have had one egg that froze solid and cracked. That one was easy to figure out. But I've had lots of cold eggs, some cold enough that I wonder if they are actually frozen or if my fingers just need better circulation.

10. Gray Ghost

Gray Ghost Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2010
    Quote:Eggsactly. If it's not cracked then it didn't freeze as far as I'm concerned. I've never opened a winter-gathered uncracked egg and had any problems.

If it's cracked it goes in the dog's dish at dinnertime, shell and all. I get way more eggs than I need so I don't have to salvage the cracked ones. Anyway they are very good for the dogs!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by