Frozen eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by BatonRougeChick, Jan 30, 2014.

1. BatonRougeChick

BatonRougeChick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2013
    Denham Springs, LA
    My Coop
    In the winter storm we just had in Louisiana, 2 of my eggs froze yesterday before I got to them. They expanded and cracked, but the membrane appears to still be in tact. Does anyone else ever get frozen eggs, and do you use them?

2. Triple Willow

Triple Willow Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2013
    I have got a few this winter. I don't feed them to anybody else but I do eat them if the membrane is not broken. It is really strange how after it thaws the shell will go back together and you can hardly tell it was cracked.

1 person likes this.
  3. BatonRougeChick

BatonRougeChick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2013
    Denham Springs, LA
    My Coop
    Yes I thought that was interesting too!

4. Triple Willow

Mar 1, 2013
    I believe there have been a whole lot of eggs frozen this year. lol A couple days ago I had a bird lay after I had gathered eggs so the egg froze over night. When I found it it was a little oozy so I fed it to my dog and he chewed on it like a bone. lol

1 person likes this.
  5. gilmeryote

gilmeryote Out Of The Brooder

Mar 10, 2013
    North Georgia
    I've had several frozen this winter,especially the last couple days. I usually chunk'em off in the woods.

6. erinchelsea

erinchelsea Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2010
    Webster City, IA
    We've had a streak of really, really cold weather and have had quite a few frozen eggs. I try to get eggs several times a day when it's bad but that is not always possible. I feed a couple to my dog per day, twice when I had a large amount of frozen eggs I scrambled up and fed them back to my hens. I wouldn't eat them, after all they were cracked and sitting in those nesting boxes, and I don't know about yours but mine aren't especially sanitary.[​IMG]

7. Triple Willow

Mar 1, 2013
    As Uncle Si might say- Hey, they came out of a chicken's butt already...? LOL If you were to cook it real good you could eat roadkill. LOL

8. erinchelsea

erinchelsea Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2010
    Webster City, IA
    Lol, true, true...but I don't have to so I don't. [​IMG] We're getting at least 1.5 dozen eggs right now for my family of 4, at that rate the dog can have the cracked ones.

9. Triple Willow

Mar 1, 2013
    I don't have to either, maybe I'm a little too cheap... er' frugal??? LOL

10. louie2037

louie2037 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 10, 2012
    Western, New York
    I bring them in and wash them as usual. I keep the frozen ones in a separate bowl in the fridge for a couple of days, then use them for baking, French Toast, or scrambled eggs. It was -22 this morning, I have a couple of chickens that won't lay in a nest for some reason. As a result, they freeze pretty quickly in this weather, they just take a long time to thaw completely. By the way, the temp went up 50 degrees during the day, and it's now +32! If we ever had a temp increase like that during the summer, I'd find roasted chickens instead of eggs!

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by