Frozen eggs

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by JoyAnna, Nov 14, 2014.

1. JoyAnna

JoyAnna Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2012
    Maple Falls, Washington
    Today, I found a nest of 13 eggs from my two ducks out under leaves by the fence in their run. They have two houses where they have laid before. It has been so cold I thought they had just quit for their rest time this winter. I brought them in, but we have been freezing for several nights with frigid winds. Can these eggs be used, carefully, for cooking?

2. allergymama

allergymama Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2014
    Michigan
    Other more knowledgeable may chime in, but I just read an article that said if they freeze and are broken to toss them. If they are not cracked you can still use them as long as you don't let them sit for too long.

Anecdotally, I had several that froze in the refrigerator recently (when our fridge gets packed with stuff, sometimes stuff near the back freezes) and we used them for scrambled eggs no problem...of course, I didn't know that they were frozen until I cracked them open over the pan. Lol and I got a "plop" of frozen egg.

3. mtngirl35

mtngirl35 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2013
    Tennessee
    I work 12 hr shifts so sometimes my chicken eggs are frozen by the time I get home to collect them. As long as the shell isn't cracked we eat them.

4. JoyAnna

JoyAnna Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2012
    Maple Falls, Washington
    Thanks for the reassurance. I felt it would probably be okay, and so had scrambled eggs for supper. Actually, while I was a bit upset with the girls for hiding them from me, I was also quite pleased to find them. I thought they had stopped laying because of the cold weather and all and I wondered how I would get along the next few months without those wonderful eggs. I know they will take a break soon, so every egg they lay is precious to me.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by