Frozen feet, Frosty feathers

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by AndreaR, Dec 9, 2013.

1. AndreaR

AndreaR New Egg

Dec 9, 2013
    Hi,
    We got down to -35 last night and one of my hens did not fare well. Several have frostbitten combs but they will most likely be fine. One ended up with frozen feet. I brought her in the house and she is thawing out. Feet are bleeding a bit but she is eating and drinking now. She had frost on her back and is now a soggy dirty bird.
    Any advice on how to clean her up and what to watch the feet for?
    Thank in advance,
    Andrea

2. silkiechick1994

silkiechick1994 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 25, 2013
    Paris TN
    I would just be sure to clean it gently and make sure no infections happen. Sometimes the skin will turn black and flake off if it's not a serious frost bite wound. I would maybe pinch different areas of her toes and see if she has lost any feeling there. not a whole lot you can do if she has but at least you'd know what's going on. Do watch for toes turning black. As for a preventative for frost bite I heard putting Vaseline on the combs and waddles has helped keep frostbite to a minimum.I've got all pea and rose combed birds but I would give it a shot and see if it helps some. I usually cook a big pot of rice and stirfry veggies and give everybody a nice warm meal before it drops down cold like that. Poor babies. I hope they get to feeling better soon and good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by