frozen feet

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by rebel13dlc, Dec 10, 2009.

1. rebel13dlc

rebel13dlc Out Of The Brooder

Dec 10, 2009
    Indiana
    last night it got down to about 6 degrees, well this morning I took their water out to them and only one wasnt moving, I picked her up and started lookin at her and noticed her feet were a pale color and felt her feet and they wont move,,, brought her inside put her close to the stove, so do I just wait it out and her feet will unthaw or what... also one of my rooster has one of his wattles swollen any ideas or suggestions thank.
    Dan

2. ghillie

ghillie Hen Pecked

Nov 13, 2008
    Colorado Springs, Co
    [​IMG]

Sounds like frostbite. Do a search on here for frostbite, have read threads before about it but I don't have any experience with it..

3. fiberart57

fiberart57 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2009
    Colorado
    Welcome to Backyard Chickens.

I hope your chickens get better. The suggestion from above is a good one to help cure it. I don't know what kind of roosts you're using but sometimes they need to be adjusted to prevent frozen toes.

I don't know where you live, but currently on the Western Slope of the Rockies in Colorado it got down to 3 degrees last night. I was relieved because I was expecting 10 below zero. What I have learned from all the reading on this site is that the best roosts for the birds are broad ones, like the four inch side of a two by four which is what mine currently are. The reason for this is that chickens rest on their feet and don't grip like other birds and with a broad board they can cover their feet when they sleep.

I hope this helps prevent more frozen toes.

There's also a thread on vaseline on combs and wattles; you'll need to cover them with vaseline, preferably before they get cold and freeze, but even after is not so bad. My neighbor and I did our birds two nights ago and it was only six degrees. I'm really glad we did. So far my girls have escaped the dreaded black spots.
    Mary

Last edited: Dec 10, 2009
  4. LilRalphieRoosmama

LilRalphieRoosmama Officially Quacked

Oct 15, 2007
    Elyria, OH
    [​IMG] I remember reading/hearing somewhere that you need to thaw them out very slowly because they will be very sensitive to heat. I would soak her feet in water - but start with cool (not cold) water for maybe 15 minutes. Dump and refill the bowl but this time make it just a little warmer. Repeat but I wouldn't make the water any warmer than room temp / tepid. I know instinct is to soak in nice warm water but that could actually do more harm than good. Hope she is ok!

Last edited: Dec 10, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by