1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

frozen feet

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by CNY Melissa, Dec 11, 2009.

1. CNY Melissa

CNY Melissa New Egg

Dec 11, 2009
    I am a new chicken owner. I have 4 Rhode Islands, 4 Barred Rocks and 4 white leghorns. Today it was i the 20's in Central New York with a windchill of 10. When I got home from work I saw one of my Rhodes wedged bewteen the coop and the barn. I am not sure how long she was there for but I checked her legs and don't think either are broken but she won't walk. So I touched her feet and they were frozen but no swelling no discoloration. I have her in our heated garage now in a box with lots of straw and blankets. anyone have any other suggestions? I know with frostbite you either want to let your own body heat bring it back to temp or cool water...

2. trilyn

trilyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2009
    East Syracuse
    Oh boy, I feel your pain! I had a buff laced Polish spend the night outside Wednesday night, not as cold as Thursday or even today but still, nervewracking! I think you're doing the right thing by keeping her in the garage and letting her body temp reach normal on its own. Just keep a watch on her is about the best advice I have for you. Hopefully someone else will jump on here soon!

[​IMG] from East Syracuse!!

3. wildorchid053

wildorchid053 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2009
    syracuse area, ny
    hi i am from baldwinsville.. has she tried to walk yet? i think your doing the best thing for her

4. mypicklebird

mypicklebird Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2008
    Sonoma Co, CA
    How is she doing? If both her feet actually froze- after thawing out they will likely swell & discolor. The tissue will die, and you will need to dispatch her- they need feet. If she just has frostbite to the tips of her toes, she may do ok, but may lose nails or toe tips- best bet is to have a vet amputate the dead tissue and close the healthy tissue if it is just the ends. Once her whole body is warm- if her feet are warm or hot- this is good- as that means there is blood supply. If her feet are cold and the toes do not move in response to you touching them- this is not so good.

5. demp4

demp4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2009
    Central NY
    I hope she is all right! My chickens only come off the ramp to eat quick then go back in their coop... They aren't liking this wind too well.

I have one of my white leghorns in the basement right now because I am chicken sitting for a friend and they pecked my chickenpretty bad and she was bleeding didn't want to leave her in the cold last night.

I am in Bridgeport Central NY as well.. Nice to see others on here close to me.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by