1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Frozen nipples finally working

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by jetdog, Jan 23, 2014.

1. jetdog

jetdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2013
    Massachusetts
    I beat my head with a 5 gallon bucket with nipples. Bought a nice stock tank heater and it just doesn't keep them thawed so I was at home depot and saw a 5 gallon bucket cooler that fits into the bucket, I put it in the bucket and pressed firmly so the nipples would leave indents then took a 1/2 socket and pushed until I was through the foam to make a hole for each nipple to stick through, I switched over to a aquarium heater that is shatter proof and plugged into a gfci outlet, it sits over the nipples today -5 and it worked all day, the stock tank heater just didn't warm the water enough, the cooler also came with a
    lid which I cut a small slit for the cord, I think it keeps much more heat in the bucket. Got my fingers crossed.

2. Ruby May

Ruby May Out Of The Brooder

May 1, 2013
    What a great idea! I had the same set up with a 5 gallon bucket and tank heater. The nipples freeze once it drops below 20. I finally bought a 3 gal plastic heated waterer for $30. Wish I would have read this yesterday!

3. chickensnducks7

chickensnducks7 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 7, 2014
    Do you by chance have pictures? THX

4. jetdog

Jun 18, 2013
    Massachusetts
    Save your money, long story short it didn't work, I switched to horrizontal nipples and a stock tank heater from tractor supply and it works great. The horrizontal nipples don't hold water so they can't freeze, I got them from"all bout chickens"

5. jetdog

Jun 18, 2013
    Massachusetts
    [​IMG]

6. jetdog

Jun 18, 2013
    Massachusetts
    [​IMG]

7. chickensnducks7

Jul 7, 2014
    Ok thanks so much! I guess I will be ordering the nipples today...as I just went out and mine are frozen solid not even a hammer is going to do the trick!

8. chickensnducks7

Jul 7, 2014
    Will the Horizontal Nipples work on a 3/4 in PVC pipe? Or do they require a flatter surface?

9. jetdog

Jun 18, 2013
    Massachusetts
    you will be better off using a bucket so the heater can sit on the bottom close to the nipplesthe pipe will be too small

10. chickensnducks7

Jul 7, 2014
    I don't like that answer I want to use the system I am using .... wahhhhh[​IMG] Thanks a bunch for your time! Its so frustrating I have managed to keep the water in the bucket all the way to the PVC wand thawed into the single digits...**** nipples!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by