Frozen pies?

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by fullhouse, Jun 29, 2008.

1. fullhouse

fullhouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2008
    MI
    Faced with PILES of berries, I have zoomed through 20 pounds for jam and am on to pies. Any way to freeze an uncooked pie so I can just throw it in the oven later?

2. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

My mom-in-law always made a lot of pies ahead...froze them unbaked and then when she wanted a fresh pie she just popped it in the oven frozen and baked it. Don't thaw before hand or the crust gets kind of yucky.

3. amyquilt

amyquilt Serama Mama

May 17, 2008
    Amarillo, TX
    Why not just freeze the berries to use later in pies, cobblers, fresh on ice cream?

4. robinaggie

robinaggie Flew the Coop

May 25, 2008
    Texas
    I'm soooooo jealous. What a nice problem to have.

Line your pie pan with foil, make the pie in it, and cover the top with more foil and tightly seal the edges of the foil. Then, when the pie is frozen, you can lift it out and make another one. The frozen-in-foil pies are supposed to kept in a giant freezer bag. To cook - you peel off the foil, put the pie in a pan and bake as usual. You might need to add as much as 20 minutes if baking frozen.

5. fullhouse

Apr 14, 2008
    MI
    Quote:I am freezing the berries also. Since we have 5 kids making in bulk and freezing in quanity is much easier for me in general.

6. fullhouse

Apr 14, 2008
    MI
    Quote:That is a GREAT idea, thank you!

7. BettyR

BettyR Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2008
    Texas Gulf Coast
    Our berry season just ended and we had a very good season; I put up 24 pints of jam and a couple of gallon zip-lock bags of berries went into the freezer just in case we go through all the jam before next summer.

We aren’t really big pie eaters but we can sure put away the jam.

What type of berries do you have? Ours are blackberries; I took these pictures Jun 1st at the beginning of the season and the last picture is my berry-picking buddy. She is the only one that I can get to come out in the heat of the day to pick berries with me. Too bad she doesn't have hands.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. fullhouse

Apr 14, 2008
    MI
    Currently working on Michigan Strawberries, which are small and very sweet. We didn't have enough Mullberries to can this year. In about 3 weeks it will be rapsberries and blueberries, maybe enough peaches to can too (I hope!) I wish I could find blackberries!!! That would be really yummy.

9. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    We have big picking mulberries. I finally have 2 quarts to make into some jelly. My kids eat far more than they put in the bucket!

10. robinaggie

robinaggie Flew the Coop

May 25, 2008
    Texas
    Do you ever make mixed-berry pies?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by