Frozen pies?

fullhouse

Songster
11 Years
Apr 14, 2008
MI
Faced with PILES of berries, I have zoomed through 20 pounds for jam and am on to pies. Any way to freeze an uncooked pie so I can just throw it in the oven later?

My mom-in-law always made a lot of pies ahead...froze them unbaked and then when she wanted a fresh pie she just popped it in the oven frozen and baked it. Don't thaw before hand or the crust gets kind of yucky.

I'm soooooo jealous. What a nice problem to have.

Line your pie pan with foil, make the pie in it, and cover the top with more foil and tightly seal the edges of the foil. Then, when the pie is frozen, you can lift it out and make another one. The frozen-in-foil pies are supposed to kept in a giant freezer bag. To cook - you peel off the foil, put the pie in a pan and bake as usual. You might need to add as much as 20 minutes if baking frozen.

Quote:
I am freezing the berries also. Since we have 5 kids making in bulk and freezing in quanity is much easier for me in general.

Our berry season just ended and we had a very good season; I put up 24 pints of jam and a couple of gallon zip-lock bags of berries went into the freezer just in case we go through all the jam before next summer.

We aren’t really big pie eaters but we can sure put away the jam.

What type of berries do you have? Ours are blackberries; I took these pictures Jun 1st at the beginning of the season and the last picture is my berry-picking buddy. She is the only one that I can get to come out in the heat of the day to pick berries with me. Too bad she doesn't have hands.

Blackberries004.jpg

Blackberries018.jpg

Blackberries028.jpg

Currently working on Michigan Strawberries, which are small and very sweet. We didn't have enough Mullberries to can this year. In about 3 weeks it will be rapsberries and blueberries, maybe enough peaches to can too (I hope!) I wish I could find blackberries!!! That would be really yummy.

We have big picking mulberries. I finally have 2 quarts to make into some jelly. My kids eat far more than they put in the bucket!

Back
Top Bottom