Frozen pipes??

I have WHAT in my yard?

Songster
11 Years
Jun 24, 2008
Eggberg, PA
Ok I am confused. Help me out here people!

My bathroom tub and sink are fine. The shower is not. I can get water, but just a dribble. I ran it on hot for a LOOOONG time thinking it would melt any ice blockage, but it doesn't seem to.
hmm.png

The pipe is warm in the basement part I can acess, but I can't reach any other part.

Is it leaking on me somewhere?? Any clues??

have you taken the shower head off and check it for sediment?

if you have a crawlspace (and can get under your house at all) I'd highly recommend wrapping your pipes in pipe insulation (made of foam, then tape it shut). You can get it for a few dollars at any Home Improvement store..

Better to be safe than sorry - burst pipes - CHA-CHING!

If its not blocked (shower head) - then you'll have to go under the house and see. If it is blocked, set it in a solution of vinegar and baking soda (in a deep plastic container as it will foam up) for about 15 minutes.

ETA: Is your shower located on an outside wall by chance (meaning the pipes)? Open your access panel (there should be one in the bathroom) and check to see if the line is cold - if it is...CAREFULLY turn off the water and then take a blow dryer and hold it at a good distance away from pipes - try to defrost - then turn water shut off valves back on - see if that works.

Good luck!

Last edited:
Thanks Hennysmom! That is what I am afraid of! I am opening the doors under the tub (thta is the closest you can get to these pipes. It is on the second floor so they SHOULD be interior, but they froze last year.
sad.png

Over the summer Dh and I crawled in behind the bathroom into the ceiling crawl space and insulated the daylights out of the whole area. Still we get the freeze.

I doubt it is sediment because I showered in there yesterday with no problem.

If there is water coming through why isn't it melting the ice clog??

dh had to give himself a sponge bath and wash his hair in the sink this morning since both the tub faucet and the shower were frozen.

The pipes are in an outside wall. *Gotta love old houses*
roll.png

Last summer we had the bathroom tore apart and there was NO insulation in the walls. We put stuff up and had the pipes wrapped up tight. didnt make a ion of difference with the sub zero weather.
It finally melted around 12:30 this aafternoon. But I am sure it will freeze up again tonight. Stinks that we cant use the radiator in the bathroom either. Freaking thing leaks like crazy into the basement.

Am getting a small ceramic heater tonight for that room though.. if there are any left a the local WalMart.

I have WHAT in my yard? :

Thanks Hennysmom! That is what I am afraid of! I am opening the doors under the tub (thta is the closest you can get to these pipes. It is on the second floor so they SHOULD be interior, but they froze last year.
sad.png

Over the summer Dh and I crawled in behind the bathroom into the ceiling crawl space and insulated the daylights out of the whole area. Still we get the freeze.

I doubt it is sediment because I showered in there yesterday with no problem.

If there is water coming through why isn't it melting the ice clog??

It will get through all at once.
Last winter we even tried leaving the water running and it still froze.​

So I have the tap open with the water trickling out and the doors open under the tub and the kids are getting a "treat!" I have a heater on full blast in the room and the kids are in there playing with a promise that of the water turns on full blast they'll turn it off!
wink.png

I've got frozen pipes too.

We have boiler heat and last night at 1:30 am my street lost power for over 4 hours! Talk about nerve racking...

I had the fire place and cast iron stove up and going all night so it left us with a little heat but like you said...in old houses with little insulation in record setting subzero temps...northern IL. got a record of -27 last night and that wasn't including wind chill. brr.

We invested in glycol/antifreeze last winter...helps but is not full proof. In the problem area upstairs in the cubie in the bedroom where the pipes froze and burst 2x last year...I had 2 small space heaters running on high hours before the power went. But when the power did go...it didn't take long for the cool air to set into the house. I got up and covered my children with 2 extra blankets.

Where I didn't expect a problem was with the back bathroom sink. I can't get cold water out but I can get warm...but when the warm ran...it was red/brown and I knew I had sediment caked up in there...so I undid the nozzle part and got SOOO much sediment.

When it freezes and thaws you will get this...so be sure to take apart the nozzle like suggested to clear this.

I have a heater blasting away in there but still no cold water. It's supposed to warm up tomorrow to 20 degrees by the afternoon. But whoo what a doozy of a cold snap. Poor chickens.

see...i brought it right back to the chickens...

me,
g

Back
Top Bottom