frozen poop clump expert wanted

DrakeJake

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jan 11, 2011
Thorsby Alberta
i know now that others have poopy bum issues but now i would like to know if i have to keep bringing them in to clean them up or will it eventually fall or will the duck have problems pooping because it wont fall off. i wonder if the poop clump will just keep getting bigger everytime the ducks poops, then sticks a bit, then freezes again.

hmm.png
I had to come and have a read just to fill my curiosity of who the frozen poop expert would be.
If I were you...I would bering your duck in and put it in the bath so it can have a good wash...poopy butt an all.

An earlier post stated that i was doing just that and wondered if anyone else had the same issues. my question now is, is this necessary to continue on till winters end... or not. when its warm enough out, i let them jump in the LARGE WATER DISH to bathe, otherwise it is half covered up. I was hoping for someone who knew the answer to respond.

My ducks bathe every day - first thing in the morning as soon as I break the ice and then all thru the day.

As long as they can get out of the water (I once had an elderly duck who had troubles in winter on the icy edge) - they will hop out and dry off. Yup sometimes they even frost or ice up, but they flick it off.

hmm.png

Sorry if I wasnt helpfull as you needed. I give mine clean pool and drinking water every day so I dont have your problem. If the poop is sticking to him does he not have somewhere for him to clean himslef up, so my answere is give him water to clean himself with and you wont have to give him a bath.

Last edited:
what is the temp where you are at?? is it so cold he just sits in his phooo and it builds up.? Im having a hard time figuring out how its clumping on him that bad. Do u have straw or shavings for bedding..? Mine get to swim everyday but even if they didnt , I cant see them haveing frozen clumpy phooo sticking to them.?!!

Hi Freida!
welcome-byc.gif

Sorry to hear about your frozen poop problem. What a bummer! (pun intended, ha ha!).

You're going to find that folks around here like to jump in on a thread even when they don't have a direct answer to the question at hand. In fact, at least in these forums, it's kind of considered the polite thing to just let folks chat & maybe even chat back, even if it isn't the answer you were looking for.
big_smile.png

Another thing to keep in mind is that not everyone reads every single thread, so if you want folks to know the whole story behind your question, you'll need to repeat it or at least provide a link back to the original thread (although folks won't always follow a link). The name of the game is patience and good humor!
tongue.png

As for the frozen poop, I agree with what has already been said. Usually issues of that nature have to do with general hygiene. Waterfowl really need to have access to enough water to clean themselves, especially in harsh conditions. I live in a mild climate, but lately we've had pretty harsh weather and in the mornings sometimes their water is frozen solid. They are always really muddy and unhappy when I let them out on those mornings, but half an hour in the re-filled pool in the yard, and they're clean as a whistle again. If they didn't have that water to clean up in every day, they'd probably not be very healthy.

Sorry! I know that's not really the answer you were hoping for. But frozen poop on the bum is really not a healthy condition. In fact, if it's truly frozen over their cloaca (the poop opening), it can cause them to back up and eventually even die from the blockage.

Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom