Jbugner23

Chirping
May 7, 2019
Hey all,
So one of our Easter Eggers has a frozen ball of poop on her feathers. It’s getting bigger and bigger and the weather here in Northern MN has been in the negatives the past couple days.
We are thinking of bring her inside tonight to let the poop thaw out and hopefully fall off and then wash off the rest with a warm cloth. Then let her feathers dry before bringing her back outside.
Just looking for any more advice in this situation. We’ve never dealt with this before and just want to make sure we aren’t going to hurt her.
Any advice/suggestions would be great. Thanks!

Hey all,
So one of our Easter Eggers has a frozen ball of poop on her feathers. It’s getting bigger and bigger and the weather here in Northern MN has been in the negatives the past couple days.
We are thinking of bring her inside tonight to let the poop thaw out and hopefully fall off and then wash off the rest with a warm cloth. Then let her feathers dry before bringing her back outside.

If you are going to bring her inside I would wait for it to get warmer after the bath so she doesn’t get too cold. I don’t know if chickens can get colds but I also don’t know how you would treat a chicken with a cold. You probably can’t give them chicken noodle soup lol.

Could you get pictures of her and where the poop is at? Is it on her butt?

Hi! the poop buildup isn't normal, has she been acting fine? A vent gleet kind of thing comes to mind. As long as she is dry b4 she goes back out she should be fine. Problem is it is probably gonna happen again. Could you post some pictures of her?

I wouldn't treat this any differently than pasty butt on a chick. Bring her inside and wash the poop off under lukewarm running water. When completely cleaned off, dry her thoroughly ( hair dryer on a low setting will help) and put her back outside. Chickens, just like humans, do not catch a cold from going to cold to hot to cold. Colds are due to a virus and have nothing at all to do with changing temperatures.

She’s acting totally fine, like nothing is even wrong. Her vent is not covered up at all, and she’s still pooping it’s just the poop ball on her feathers under her vent keeps catching more poop and just freezes. It’s -15 at night here most nights recently and it’s barely been getting up above 10F . It’s dark now so I cannot get pictures. I’ll get some when she comes inside.

Hi! the poop buildup isn't normal, has she been acting fine? A vent gleet kind of thing comes to mind. As long as she is dry b4 she goes back out she should be fine. Problem is it is probably gonna happen again. Could you post some pictures of her?

Back
Top Bottom