frozen treats for the heat

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by homecatmom, Aug 29, 2007.

1. homecatmom

homecatmom Chillin' With My Peeps

It is just past noon here and the thermometer in the back says 103 degrees. The birds are panting. I placed ice cubes in their water to cool it down. I gave them a dish of frozen peas (heard corn makes them hotter) and gave them 3 frozen water bottles to stand on and lay next to. Is this going to be good enough, or should I give them a shower? They have plenty of shade, it's just so dang hot!

2. Wooden_Pony

Wooden_Pony Chillin' With My Peeps

We are HOT here as well South SF Bay Area.

I have been going out and wetting down the dirt under the pomagranite tree where they are hanging out. They seem to like the damp dirt and are taking dirt baths in it. I have been letting mine free range during this heat wave. I am not sure if you can in your area.

Hope this helps!!

3. Newchickenmom&kids

Newchickenmom&kids Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2007
    Illinois
    If the corn make them hot....I'd think the peas would do the same. They are both VERY high in starch. I do all of that except I've kept watermelon .... rind and all cut up in freezer....they really like that! Try some kind of frozen fruit!!

4. homecatmom

homecatmom Chillin' With My Peeps

If I used my brain, I could have figured out the starch thing! I recently went through a diabetic nutrition class for the husband, and peas were a no-no....doh...I bought the girls a seedless watermelon today and if I can keep the human girls away from it that will be afternoon snack tomorrow. Thanks for reminding me about the starch.[​IMG]

5. Newchickenmom&kids

Newchickenmom&kids Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2007
    Illinois
    No problem! Don't forget to freeze it...they love it!!

6. skeeter9

skeeter9 Chillin' With My Peeps

Ooooh, that's a great idea!!! Peaches, nectarines, plums, watermelon, cantaloup, etc etc etc.... Yummy - for the girls, I mean!!

Lori

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by