FROZEN water and NO electricity!

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Hennyhandler, Jan 4, 2010.

1. Hennyhandler

Hennyhandler SilkieJax

Jun 10, 2009
    Cullman
    I don't have any electricity at the coop and it is not feasible to run an electrical cord out there. My problem is the water is freezing in the run AND in the coop. Does ANYONE out there have an idea that will keep the water melted. I'm not home all day so I can't go out there and break it up all the time either. Also, out of curiosity does anyone else's water freeze in the coop?

2. Whispering Winds

Whispering Winds Chillin' With My Peeps

There is no way to run a good heavy extension cord? I don't see how you are going to be able to beat the ice if you can't warm it up somehow . . .the cookie tin heater is about the cheapest way to go, but you have to have electric.

3. meezermom

meezermom Out Of The Brooder

Jan 23, 2009
    Roy WA
    Yes, our water freezes on occaision as well. We empty the buckets, refill them with fresh & it takes awhile (hours) till they are froze again.
    If you like, there are thermobuckets that are lined to reduce/prevent icing up. Check out a livestock/horse supply catalogue.
    Farming in the winter is a challenge!

4. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    What kinds of temps do you have? If your dealing with low 20's or below on a regular basis I don't know what you can do except pack out water a few times a day, which sounds like it would be tough with your schedule. If your just dropping into the mid-20's or above for the coldest part of the night there might be a few more options.

5. Hennyhandler

Hennyhandler SilkieJax

Jun 10, 2009
    Cullman
    It's usually around the mid 20s. Nothing too cold that I can't chip at the ice and get it flowing till the sun comes out and melts it for the rest of the day. The problem is this week where it has been and is supposed to get real low. Any suggestions?

6. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    I've used the shoulder size ThermCare pads for short-term heating solutions--usually under a rabbit nesting box when a Spring cold front comes the same time as babies. I wonder if you could wrap it with insulation like is used for hot water heaters and put hot water in it at night....of course you would have to enclose it with some kind of sleave or the chickies would tear it up, but with mid-20's that might work.

7. highcountrychickens

highcountrychickens Head Rooster Jouster

Aug 28, 2008
    Jackson Hole
  8. joebryant

joebryant Overrun With Chickens

The only solution that I can imagine for you is your putting an electrical dog dish up by your house outside and training the chickens to walk to the house when they want a drink of water, i.e., if Mohammed won't come to the mountain, the mountain must come to Mohammed.

9. Slinkytoys

Slinkytoys Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2009
    Black Forest
    Hmmmm, got me thinking. How about using some styrofoam blocks inside a box, place a bowl of warm water inside the styrofoam then cover the foam so the chickens can't eat it. We use styrofoam inserts with the 5 gal. buckets to keep the water for the horses in stall drinkable. It won't stop the water from freezing eventually, but I think the water would be drinkable for a longer period of time.
    Slinky

10. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

That should work, just keep any of the foam away from the chickens. You should be able to design a box that works. You know those styrofoam coolers you get for about $3.00? You could put one into a wooden box after modifying it for the hens to drink. Use warm water too. I use an electric dog bowl- they're great but can freeze when it gets very cold. The hens learn to keep the ice clear, though! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by