Frozen water lines

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Huskeriowa, Jan 31, 2011.

1. Huskeriowa

Huskeriowa Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 19, 2010
    Iowa
    My Coop
    Hi all,

I have read all the posts I can find about the pvc pipe and nipples and am still at a loss. Maybe I have missed something or maybe there isn't a good solution yet. I am going to do the nipple watering system with probably a pvc pipe to carry the water. I am going to put the water in a raised cooler as I have seen on this site and am planning on heating the water with a small pond heater that I have handy. One water pipe will run approximately 6 foot outside of the coop and the other line will run about 4 feet to the interior of the coop. Both lines will have two nipple waterer's on them.

I live in Iowa and it gets very cold here during the winter. I am trying to come up with a plan that will work best for myself and my family. Hopefully I can avoid having to cart water to the coop each morning and evening. I have looked at the heated base for the galvanized waterer's and will do that if I have to but would prefer to stay strictly with the nipple method.

I understand that heat lamps can be dangerous and that chickens will peck at heat tape but has anyone actually tried the heat cable I see on sites? I am wondering if this will keep water from freezing when the pipe is exposed to cold weather? Again, I only have to keep 6 feet or less of pvc from freezing.

Hopefully this question isn't too redundant. I have searched and cant find the solution that is right for my situation. During the winter I will likely shut off and drain water supply in the run but would love to be able to keep nipples thawed in the coop.

Thanks much!

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

3. Huskeriowa

Huskeriowa Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 19, 2010
    Iowa
    My Coop
  4. perchie.girl

perchie.girl Desert Dweller Premium Member

Quote:I think if you insulate the pipe exposed to the outside it should help. My friends in PA who have horses out in pastures use regular tin duct for AC it comes flat then you wrap it around and it clips into a circle. they form the tin around the exposed pipe and then fill it with sand or horse manure or even packing peanuts. But any kind of insulating material would work.

Another thought for the winter is to use 5 gallon buckets with bucket heaters in them. Then you could use the nipple waterers on the bottoms of the buckets and hang the bucket from the rafters. Then youd only have to haul water occasionally. Or then you could use the water supply that is already run to the coop to fill. My friends also empty out their hoses every time they use them so they dont freeze up. One gal uses those coiling hoses and drains it out before storing it in a bucket. So as long as the fawcet supply doesnt freeze youd have water.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by