frozen water & no electic

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by kritterkeep, Dec 31, 2009.

1. kritterkeep

kritterkeep Out Of The Brooder

Mar 25, 2009
    any ideas on how to keep water from freezing so fast when you do not have any eclectic in the chicken coop... [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 31, 2009
  2. lleighmay

lleighmay Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2008
    Woodlawn, VA
    I use the 3 gal plastic waterers. I fill one up with the hottest tap water I can get and put that out in the morning. Meanwhile, I bring the other waterer in to thaw. In the evening I reverse the process. So far so good and it seems that on all but the most bitter days the water is not frozen in the morning. I guess the warmth of the birds generally keeps the coop above 32.

3. Andi

Andi Chillin' With My Peeps

I just rotated buckets also.

I didn't bring out buckets of hot water though. I've heard it said that hot water freezes faster (that's what my grandma told me about making ice cubes) and I didn't want my girls burning themselves. You know how when your hands are really cold and you put them under water that's not hot but just warm and it still stings, I didn't want that happening to my chickens mouths.

I was going out every 1½ - 2 hours to collect eggs before they burst anyway, so I just brought a bucket with. On those days where I wasn't able to do musical buckets I just made sure they had access to the fresh snow and used the eggs for scrambled eggs or French toast.

I've since ran an extension cord out there and put a heat lamp up with a thermal switch. Now I don't have split eggs or frozen water, most of the time. When the temps drop below zero with the coop closed up over night I still get frozen water. At least there's no egg laying over night.

4. RocketDad

RocketDad Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2008
    Near US 287
    I've heard it said that hot water freezes faster

Only under certain conditions that are hard to replicate. As for ice cubes, I think you get clearer ice if you boil the water first, to release any dissolved oxygen.

All things being equal, hot water will take longer to freeze than cold water - it has to dump the heat first, then undergo "phase change" to solid. The heat will also warm the coop a bit.

and I didn't want my girls burning themselves.

This is an important point.​

Last edited: Dec 31, 2009
  5. jetto

jetto Out Of The Brooder

Jun 15, 2009
    Huron County, Ohio
    We dump the waterers at night before going to bed figuring the birds aren't drinking overnight when the water is most apt to freeze. Then I go out at 5 am when I plug in the light and give everyone warm water. Out again 2 hours later to check for eggs and check water. Dumping the waterers at night helps speed things up in the morning. Not ideal but it works for us. Kristi

6. jerseygirl1

jerseygirl1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2009
    Orange County, NY
    Ido the same, fill in the morning with hot water and it hasn't frozen up yet - and it's been about 9 degrees here

7. chookchick

chookchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2008
    Olympia WA
    I have used either a "snuggle safe" or a concrete paver under their waterer. The snuggle safe is a plastic gel-filled disk that you stick in the microwave and heat up. It holds the heat for several hours. I also would take a concrete paver (like 12" by 12") and heat it by our insert. If I put one of these under their water, it lasts at least half the day, so I do two switch-outs per day when it is freezing.

But I have just purchased a heated dog bowl and I am very happy with it so far. No frozen water in morning!

8. CityGirlintheCountry

CityGirlintheCountry Green Eggs and Hamlet

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    I have started using the black rubber bowls that Tractor Supply sells. I put them in the runs as a backup water source, but have found that they work a lot better now that things are freezing up. They melt faster than the white plastic waterers and seem to not freeze up as fast. I can only assume that the black color absorbs more heat from the sunlight and helps keep the water from freezing. When I'm home I go out with warm water, but the black bowls help on days that I have to be at work all day.

When they do freeze over, it's really easy to break the ice out as the bowls are flexible.

Good luck!

9. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Quote:DITTO! I love those black Fortex rubber bowls! Snap them out like ice cubes!

10. Luvducks

Luvducks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2009
    Colorado
    Quote:DITTO! I love those black Fortex rubber bowls! Snap them out like ice cubes!

ME THREE! For Ducks and chickens

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by