Frozen water this morning!

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by nuttyredhead, Nov 20, 2010.

1. nuttyredhead

nuttyredhead Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2010
    Southern NH
    I thought this wouldnt happen for a few more weeks! The hose was frozen! My husband put in together with a special valve so there would be no water sitting in the hose to freeze....someone closed the valve! And the water in the galvanized waterer in the coop had a layer of ice!!!!! Im very suprised, my coop is insulated! It could be a long winter !!!!

2. dsqard

dsqard Crazy "L" Farms

Jun 11, 2010
    York PA
    I have been getting frozen water off and on for over a week now. There are a few things you can do. I have two metal double walled waterers and I just rotate them every day. I put warm water in it in the morning to encourage them to drink. I haven't been keeping the water in the coop yet mainly because I don't want them to knock it over. I will probably have to work out a hanging system in the coop though because we are supposed to start getting down into the 20's for the high. [​IMG] If you can get electricity to the coop you can get one of those heater stands for the waterers as well. For the hoses, I guess I am going to have to start bringing them in to the garage at night. [​IMG] They haven't frozen solid yet but I know that is coming. I know there are heated hoses out there but my electrical supply is not within the 10' of electrical cord and every package I have read so far says not to use extension cords. Not looking forwards to this winter either!

3. superchemicalgirl

superchemicalgirl HEN PECKED

Jan 10, 2010
    Vacationland, Maine
    Actually I contacted the company that sells heated dog bowls (Drs Foster and Smith) and they sent me this:
    "You can use a heavy duty extension cord that is rated for outdoor use with the Ice-Free Heated Waterers, however the cord would need to be 25' or less."

Still a problem for me, my coop is further out than 25' and 33 chickens will have one of those water bowls emptied in no time.

All my putside waterers have been frozen solid each morning for a few weeks now. I need to remember to bring them inside at night. I have a large one in the coop that hasn't frozen yet but they dislike going in to drink.

4. Olive Hill

Olive Hill Overrun With Chickens

Apr 19, 2009
    We've had frozen hoses and waterers off and on for about a month now. No need to panic. If it's a light freeze it'll thaw in a couple hours.

5. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Quote:They will go inside to drink without a problem if that is their only water source, at least for a while.

6. Ed62

Ed62 Chillin' With My Peeps

Beth,

Just wondering how cold it has been at night??

Ed

7. superchemicalgirl

superchemicalgirl HEN PECKED

Jan 10, 2010
    Vacationland, Maine
    Yes they will go indoors and drink, but the water won't always be liquid indoors, winter hasn't even started yet.

8. Heidi Riley

Heidi Riley Out Of The Brooder

May 17, 2010
    Washington State
    I have a couple of submersible aquarium heaters I am going to try and use this winter

9. weezzell5400

weezzell5400 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 14, 2010
    seneca
    hello i dont know if this will help in your situation but i use a bucket to water my chickens and i use a bird bath heater to keep the water from freezing it keeps the water about 40 to 50 degrees and will turn off when it runs out of water i hope this helped [​IMG]

10. Ohhhdear

Ohhhdear Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2010
    West Michigan
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by