frozen water

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Egg - Static, Aug 26, 2016.

1. Egg - Static

Egg - Static Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2016
    Mississippi
    How can I prevent water from freezing in a plastic bucket? I have nine chickens using one hanging ( I think five gallon bucket with four "nipples" hanging down for them.) Will I need to carry water out there everyday or can I put something into the water to keep it from freezing. Thanks in advance.

2. CluckerCottage

CluckerCottage Chillin' With My Peeps

We use a 40 watt light bulb inside of a single hole cinder block during the winter.
    It's a cheap and easy way to keep water from freezing. That was our way of just saying NO to those heated waterers that sell for $75!

3. Egg - Static

Aug 17, 2016
    Mississippi
    Hi CluckerCottage!

I thought about that but my coop and run is far out from my house. Because I live in a wood, I can't just run wires everywhere and it would cost a large amount to put a wire under ground. Thanks for the idea though!

4. CluckerCottage

CluckerCottage Chillin' With My Peeps

Ok, I see.
    Would it be possible to use a heavy-duty construction-type extension cord from your home out to the coop?

5. Egg - Static

Aug 17, 2016
    Mississippi
    actually that wouldn't work either. It is over 300 yards away and the only place to run the cord would be on a drive way that gets used every day. Not sure it that would be good.[​IMG]

6. fairie

fairie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2014
    Hi I have 2 hen houses and 1 turkey house. They are all locked in now because we have bird flu here in Germany. And it is FREEZING.
    Normally they have water in the sun and I stomp it open in the morning and they are clever. But in the house the water feeder is freezing up.

I want reusable if I have to do it everyday. So with these I would use a metal box (cookie tin?) and put the battery operated item inside and the water on top.

I am currently investigating Battery Operated Coffee Cup warmers....obviously the ladies arent gonna need to charge their cell phones..https://wiki.ezvid.com/best-cup-warmers

Some one on another Frozen Thread mentioned these... you put them in the microwave
    http://www.snugglesafe.co.uk/shop/snugglesafe-pet-heatpads/

There are also hunting insoles with batteries. Seems like you would have to recharge batteries every day, but I could use one foot in each house, Bonus! https://www.amazon.de/infactory-Beh...1480427013&sr=8-5&keywords=socken+mit+heizung

I am still feeling it out and looking for the right thing. But anything is better than defrosting the water on the fireplace (which is happening Now)[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 29, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by