1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Frozen water

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by MikeTheGardener, Dec 1, 2014.

1. MikeTheGardener

MikeTheGardener Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 3, 2014
    New Jersey
    Ok so my water froze a couple of times last week. I have not set up anything where it will keep it from doing that. So what I am doing right now is simply putting out fresh water every morning.

2. Free Feather

Free Feather Chillin' With My Peeps

Check a couple times a day if they have frozen water, and give them fresh water. Too long without fresh water can cause them to lay irregularly for days. It is getting colder...

3. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    That's what I normally do. I just use two rubber buckets. That way, I can just step on the side of the bucket, and it flexes and the ice pops out. So I take the fresh one down, and bring the frozen one back to the house. I exchange them that way in the morning, and after work.

Then, this year, as a surprise, my husband took me to the farm store and bought me a heated waterer. It's very nice. Only cost $35.00. Well worth the money and holds two buckets full. Good investment.

4. RonP

RonP Chillin' With My Peeps

What type of waterer are you using?

Do you have access to electricity?

5. MikeTheGardener

MikeTheGardener Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 3, 2014
    New Jersey
    Right now I am using a 5 gallon plastic waterer and yes I do have access to electricity

6. RonP

RonP Chillin' With My Peeps

I use a modified version of the "cookie tin heater".

Worked flawlessly to -9F, the coldest it has ever gotten in my coop.

I use a 3 gallon double wall waterer.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. DaveOmak

DaveOmak Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2013
    Omak, Washington
    My Coop
    Raise the bucket about 5-8" off the ground, put a cover on it.... I use plastic covered foam (see it under the board).... and screw horizontal nipples in the bucket... they do not freeze..... and are spring loaded...
    A snap on or screw lid will freeze and you won't be able to get it off.... How do I know that ???? GUESS !!!!

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 1, 2014
  8. silkymom

silkymom Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2009
    im in michigan and its cold, i put a red heatlamp over the waterer, 2 gallon metal, it keeps that waterer thawed but the one on the other end of the coop freezes, it doesnt really heat the coop much but keeps the water thawed, good luck

9. BayBay Peepers

BayBay Peepers Overrun With Chickens

Apr 5, 2013
    Wisconsin
    We use heated dishes. I find the one gallon bowls (for dogs) work better for us than the actual dome shaped waterer. The dome one froze to the ground immediately and I had to let it sit for the rest of the season. The bowls seem to work just right.

We only had an issue once. The power went out and the wind chill was about -50 last year. I had to run out a fresh bowl ever 30 minutes. Once the power came back on we had to use red lamps to re-thaw the electric bowls quicker.

10. silkymom

silkymom Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2009
    this time of year i keep food and water in the coop.dont need racoons and cayotes from getting in the pen., the light works for me

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by