Frozen Watermelon to Beat this Texas Heat

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Syntria, Jul 2, 2018.

1. Syntria

Syntria In the Brooder

Jun 8, 2018
    Arlington, Texas
    Gave my girls a nice frozen treat. They are loving it. Anyone have any other ideas for me to help keep my girls cool during this heat wave?

FrankStopher, Jezalilly and Abriana like this.
  2. LittleMissCountry

LittleMissCountry Songster

Mar 30, 2018
    Virginia
    I gave mine a cold piece of watermelon today as well. It is hot and humid here. Another thing I do is make ice cubes with berries in them, and then give the chickens a tub of water with the ice cube berries floating in it. They drink a lot of water to get the berries. I put some frozen water bottles in their coop the other night when the temps were still in the 90's at 8 pm.

Criticalicious and Syntria like this.
  3. HollyWoozle

HollyWoozle Chirping

Jun 12, 2018
    United Kingdom
    Great ideas! We are having a summer heatwave here in the UK and nobody is very well adjusted to it. I've been taking ice water out to the chickens in the peak heat of the day and they love that, but some berries in there could make it more interesting and I am sure they'd love watermelon too. :)

4. jp57

jp57 Chirping

May 1, 2017
    Townsend, DE
    I give my girls cold grapes. I change their water a couple of times a day and add ice.

Criticalicious and Syntria like this.
  5. Peppercorngal

Peppercorngal Songster

Feb 5, 2018
    Feather Falls, CA
    It's 105 degrees here (has been for days) and I free range my chickens. I have oak trees and I water a spot in the shade and they run to that wet spot and lay and peck for hours there. I have 4 water sources in different spots and add cold water twice a day. I water down their run in the afternoon and so far they have been hot, but fine. I'm getting 14 to 19 eggs a day too. Good girls! :cool:

mountain chicken likes this.
  6. Abriana

Abriana Spicy Sugar Cookie

Apr 26, 2017
    Fools Gold or Swan Pond
    I am growing watermelon for this purpose

mountain chicken likes this.
  7. mountain chicken

mountain chicken Chirping

Apr 12, 2018
    EVERGREEN , COLORADO
    I have been 1/4ing those bowling ball size watermellons and freeze I never seen a piece of watermelon disappear so fast rind and all

Farmgirl1878 and Abriana like this.
  8. Farmgirl1878

Farmgirl1878 Songster

Mar 17, 2017
    Piketon, Ohio
    3DC991EC-423A-480E-BEB1-D0AA0245D45F.jpeg Mine love it too! I also fill a bundt cake pan with water and a handful of peas, corn, strawberries, or just scratch and mealworms (tho believe it or not they won’t eat the mealworms!) and then freeze it overnight. They go nuts for it!

heidibee likes this.
  9. nessa.morg

nessa.morg Songster

Jun 26, 2018
    How hot is it where you live? Is it humid there also?
    It is very hot and humid where I live so I have to make sure they are not getting heat stress. I make sure they have shade and cold water all day. I like to put ice cubes in there water. I also like to give them frozen watermelon. I also have a large dog bowl filled with water that is shallow and my chickens like to cool their feet off by standing in it

FrankStopher likes this.
  10. FrankStopher

FrankStopher In the Brooder

Jan 16, 2018
    Spicewood, Texas
    I have not read all of the responses, so mine might be a repeat. We have been doing much of the same as all responses. Yes they LOVE the watermelon! We water down their dirt bath area and they love to stand in the cool mud. We have two box fans going all day, one in the coop and other in the run. We also give them electrolytes in one of their water bins every two days or so. The girls seem to be doing fine, laying eggs daily!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: