Frresh water daily?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Eagleeyeice, Oct 7, 2014.

1. Eagleeyeice

Eagleeyeice Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm new to the chicken world, and give my 7 hens fresh water daily, but I'd like to know if I really need to.
    Thanks,

2. Twistedfeather

Twistedfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2014
    Oregon
    It's the ideal thing to do so no bacteria or algae grows. But if it's hard for you I think you can push two or three days at a time depending on how much they drink.

3. aatx

aatx Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2014
    Erath County, Texas
    A lot depends on what type of watering system you use. Those of us who use nipples refill when the level gets low. I normally change out my water every 2 weeks or so just to freshen it up, but have never seen any algae.

I have a little wading pool for them that they also tend to drink out of :(. I try to clean it out every 2-3 days. I'll be happy when it gets cooler and I can remove it so that the nipple waterers are their only choice.

4. hennible

hennible Overrun With Chickens

A bucket like this keeps things cleaner for me
    [​IMG]
    Every 2nd day it's changed for ducks and every 4 for chickens. That's just my opinion though.

5. Eagleeyeice

Eagleeyeice Chillin' With My Peeps

Guess I should have spell check

Thanks for your reply's.
    I have a galvanized, 2 gal waterer, actually I have two of them, and have been changing them out daily. That will end immediately. I have built the cookie tin heater for the winter.
    My last cat would have fresh water and drink old water out of the plant trays.
    This is what I use, but this picture was taken to show it overflowing, and it has been replace by one that works.
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by