fruit flies, yuck...

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by key west chick, Sep 8, 2010.

1. key west chick

key west chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2008
    Gainesville, GA
    So I let some apples get to smooshy. Now I have these little fruit flies all over the house, especially in the kitchen. How on earth do I get rid of something that moves so fast and I can hardly see? They've been her for at least a week now. [​IMG]

2. CityGirlintheCountry

CityGirlintheCountry Green Eggs and Hamlet

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    I've had similar problems this summer. I finally gave up and bought the hanging sticky traps. They work great in a very disgusting sort of way.
    Good luck. I feel your pain. They are terribly annoying!!

3. flgardengirl

flgardengirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2009
    Sunny side up :)
    You can make a trap with a 2 liter pop bottle. Use something they like like apple juice with a little apple cider vinegar added. Or you can just use beer, wine or v8 juice. Also add a little bit of oil to whichever liquid you decide to use. Some people add a little dish washing soap instead of the oil and mix it. When the fruit flies get into the liquid and into the soap or oil they will drown. There are also little fly strips you can buy online for fruit flies that has an attractant in it.

4. Three Cedars Silkies

Three Cedars Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    Hang up several Vanillaroma Magic Trees (for cars...get them at WalMart or an auto parts store). All flies, mosquitos, etc HATE them and will leave.

5. ChikeeMomma

ChikeeMomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2009
    Mid Michigan
    I was also told that they will breed in your drains. At the local feed company, you can buy stuff to pour down your drains. I believe pouring chlorine bleach also helps. My uncle had trouble with this one summer (he didn't know where they were coming from) and every summer since he treats his drains, just in case.

6. zippitydooda

zippitydooda Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2010
    Ottawa, Ohio
    Quote:I read that you can pour boiling water down the drains followed by a little bleach to kill the eggs. Remove every bit of food and moisture from the counters, empty the trashcan religiously, and set out a cup with some vinegar that has a drop or two of dish detergent in it. In a few days the little buggers will be GONE.

7. chickeypoo

chickeypoo The Enabler

Feb 4, 2007
    Wisconsin
    I use the cheap apple cider vinegar(the fake stuff) and they love it. i had some peaches that went bad before i knew it.. and i was swarmed with them. so in just one day they were gone after i set out a few pop bottle traps. cut it in half and put the top upside down like a funnel into the bottom half. put just enough of the vinegar in it to almost reach the spout. worked awesome for me:)

8. babylady4

babylady4 Mother Goose

Mar 30, 2009
    Central WI
    I leave small jars with about 1/2 inch of wine in the bottom and topped with plastic wrap that has a toothpick hole on the top around the sinks and bathroom. They LOVE wine and will be gone before you know it.

Fruit Flies need to hang out around water so that is why I leave the jars by the sinks.

9. MeatKing

MeatKing Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:This is what I do, works great

10. Whispering Winds

Whispering Winds Chillin' With My Peeps

Wal-Mart had a recipe for something that was a white wet sugar looking stuff, even had the recipe out but didn't get a chance to get it before they took it away. I got bananas at Sam's one time and got the worse case of FF I ever had in my life. I think buying them in those plastic bags had something to do with it, because I never get them from the open air type. The wine is hilarious. . .they are so tipsy they don't care if they die or not!!! Like the slugs in stale beer!!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by