fruit makes them stop laying?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by cracked_egg, Jul 10, 2010.

1. cracked_egg

cracked_egg Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2010
    So I have a hatchery catalog that says don't feed them fruit, it can make them stop laying, and take up to 6 weeks to re-start.

2. vstoltzfus

vstoltzfus Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2009
    Lancaster County, PA
    Hmmm. I feed mine fruit, and they eat all the lower berries off my bushes, and that hasn't affected their laying at all. Did it say what kind of fruit?

3. mgw

mgw Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2010
    Eastern Wa.
    I hope fruit isnt bad I just fed ours nectorines today & they gonna lay first egg any day. hope someone comes along soon with definite answer for you!

4. Dar

Dar Overrun With Chickens

Jul 31, 2008
    they say citrus is a no no for that reason... i feed mine citrus with no ill affects

5. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    I've never heard of this! If your worried about it do a search on the forum or on google! I'm sure you'll find what your looking for!

Missi

6. Dingleberry

Dingleberry Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2010
    Woodinville
    Mine love bluberries, watermellon. cantalop and have layed the same as before I gave them fruit.

7. SpringChickens

SpringChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2009
    College Station, Tx
    Maybe they're worried that someone will try to feed them ONLY fruit? That diet wouldn't have enough protein to sustain egg laying. [​IMG]

8. Dar

Dar Overrun With Chickens

Jul 31, 2008
    sometimes I wonder how much it truth based on actual science, and how much is wives tale?

we all know its dangerous to swim after eating right?... LOL [​IMG]

9. tammyd57

tammyd57 Chillin' With My Peeps

I have always fed my chickens fruit and never had any egg laying issues from it.

I think, like most things, it depends how much you give them. Too much of anything is bad.

10. cracked_egg

cracked_egg Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2010
    I have read how people feed their chickens fruit, but this catalog says not to, so I was just wondering what the deal is... Makes sensse that they shouldn't fill up on fruit... I'll rre-read it in a bit [​IMG].

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by