fruit or no fruit

fratmor

Songster
9 Years
Sep 10, 2010
ny,ny
I thought i had read some where not to give you chickens citrus fruit . today i was going through my chicken notes and i had written no fruit or it will delay chickens from laying. Here I am giving my pullets apples and pears. does anyone have any sold information on this? thanks in advance for your replies .

There is no solid information anywhere on the internet that I've been able to find, that feeding any kind of fruit to chickens is a problem. Lots of people feed fruit to chickens, including citrus. Just like anything else, don't feed massive amounts at one time. Feed a balanced diet.

citrus fruits should not be fed because of the acid which causes stomach pains from digestive problems. im pretty sure that apples and pears are fine for the hens to eat (not too much because of the sugars). Chickens tend to know what is good and bad for them and mine will eat apples and pears but do not touch oranges or clementines.
their is a thread under the sticky section in ducks, about why citrus is not good for birds.

thanks for that info, I don't give them that much I just like sharing my apple with them, i give them some after I had enough of it . they get my pear peels because i don't like the taste of the pear peel,I've also been saving all my veggie scraps except for the potato peels because again I read not to give them raw potato peels any hinds on that.

My chickens have been enjoying a clementine here and there this fall. Of course in summer, melons, esp watermelons, is their favorite afternoon treat.

One of my five girls LOVES rasberries!
droolin.gif
The others look at them and just pass them by even though they are bright red. We grow some for ourselves so its good that our EE "Agnes" can eat them as she pleases since she is the bottom of the pecking order for treats.
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom