Fruit stops egg production?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by NewGuineaChooks, Sep 17, 2007.

1. NewGuineaChooks

NewGuineaChooks Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2007
    San Antonio, Texas
    I was just reading the Meyer Hatchery Catalogue, and on page 4 there was a weird statement. I've never heard of this before. Anyone know about this:

"Laying Hens: ...... Don't feed fruit to layers, since it can cause them to stop laying and it may take as long as 6 weeks for them to start again. ....."

??
    maureen

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Haha, that's funny. Tell my hens that.... they give me eggs.

3. pricem11

pricem11 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2007
    Pittsboro, NC
    Good Lord, the day after mine get watermelon or cantaloupe I get twice as many eggs.

4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Not at my house-they eat fruit, they lay just fine.

5. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    [​IMG] Its Massachusetts fruit.......... mine are not laying any eggs at 22 weeks.

6. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I read that in their catalog too and thought they have to be nuts. Mine get fruit and I don't think it's ever had a bad effect on them.......they still lay except for their annual molt vacation.

7. chickenman7

chickenman7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2007
    TX
    I feed mine fruit all the time doesn't do anything

8. Frozen Feathers

Frozen Feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2007
    Maine
    That is the silliest thing I've ever heard...feeding fruit doesn't stop egg production...not feeding fruit sends chickens on strike... and that stops egg production!! At least at my house anyway... [​IMG]

9. RioLindoAz

RioLindoAz Sleeping

Jul 8, 2007
    Yuma, Arizona
    feed them all the fruits you can give them, and let me tell you that they will lay double...
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. pricem11

pricem11 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2007
    Pittsboro, NC
    Can't find a single scientific study saying anything about fruit intake and egg production. However, I did go to www.pubmed.org and used the search string "chicken egg production fruit". There's a lot of interesting stuff being done re: chook diet and increasing omega-3 fatty acids in eggs (by feeding flaxseed, rapeseed, etc.). Maybe they'll figure out how to make eggs healthier than fish--and no mercury! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by