Fruit stops egg production?

NewGuineaChooks

Songster
12 Years
Aug 24, 2007
San Antonio, Texas
I was just reading the Meyer Hatchery Catalogue, and on page 4 there was a weird statement. I've never heard of this before. Anyone know about this:

"Laying Hens: ...... Don't feed fruit to layers, since it can cause them to stop laying and it may take as long as 6 weeks for them to start again. ....."

??
maureen

hu.gif
Its Massachusetts fruit.......... mine are not laying any eggs at 22 weeks.

I read that in their catalog too and thought they have to be nuts. Mine get fruit and I don't think it's ever had a bad effect on them.......they still lay except for their annual molt vacation.

That is the silliest thing I've ever heard...feeding fruit doesn't stop egg production...not feeding fruit sends chickens on strike... and that stops egg production!! At least at my house anyway...
tongue.png

Can't find a single scientific study saying anything about fruit intake and egg production. However, I did go to www.pubmed.org and used the search string "chicken egg production fruit". There's a lot of interesting stuff being done re: chook diet and increasing omega-3 fatty acids in eggs (by feeding flaxseed, rapeseed, etc.). Maybe they'll figure out how to make eggs healthier than fish--and no mercury! :)

Back
Top Bottom