Anjan

In the Brooder
Oct 21, 2017
Fruit trees require less attention and easy to grow, will take some time but when they yield they yield good.
I have planted banana, mango,sugar apple, jack fruit,coconut,pine apple (of course not a tree),guava,pomegranate.
Bananas yield within a year , mangoes depends on grafted or from seed 2 to 6 years.
Rabbit manure had shown very good results cost 40 to 50 pounds $3, i recently picked up 6 bags 300 lbs from lake land tomorrow a person in Oviedo FL will provide 4 more 40 lb bags. Rabbit manure does not cause root burn ,Rabbit droppings are little nuggets of nutrition with phosphorus, potassium and nitrogen. It can also contain trace elements of sulfur, calcium, copper and magnesium.
Using rabbit manure compost in the garden is a great way to give plants the boost of nutrients they need for strong growth. With composted rabbit manure fertilizer, there’s no threat of burning plants. It’s safe to use on any plant, and it’s easy to apply.

Read more at Gardening Know How: Making And Using Rabbit Manure Compost https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/composting/manures/rabbit-manure-compost.htm

1. Banana plants
Banana plant.jpg
Big bunch bananas.jpg
Mango fruit.jpg

Fruit trees require less attention and easy to grow, will take some time but when they yield they yield good.
I have planted banana, mango,sugar apple, jack fruit,coconut,pine apple (of course not a tree),guava,pomegranate.
Bananas yield within a year , mangoes depends on grafted or from seed 2 to 6 years.
Rabbit manure had shown very good results cost 40 to 50 pounds $3, i recently picked up 6 bags 300 lbs from lake land tomorrow a person in Oviedo FL will provide 4 more 40 lb bags. Rabbit manure does not cause root burn ,Rabbit droppings are little nuggets of nutrition with phosphorus, potassium and nitrogen. It can also contain trace elements of sulfur, calcium, copper and magnesium.
Using rabbit manure compost in the garden is a great way to give plants the boost of nutrients they need for strong growth. With composted rabbit manure fertilizer, there’s no threat of burning plants. It’s safe to use on any plant, and it’s easy to apply.

Read more at Gardening Know How: Making And Using Rabbit Manure Compost https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/composting/manures/rabbit-manure-compost.htm

1. Banana plants
View attachment 1167703
View attachment 1167704
View attachment 1167705
I am in Arizona , I planted Apple,peach,grapes,raspberry,moringa and many veggies. I have a Pygmy goat my personal composter great for growing my plants. I planted mango I have 4sprouted trees that I will need to bring inside when we have cold weather. I love growing plants and share goat droppings with my friends for there trees. Oh I have pineapples growing inside.

I'm farther north in Indiana, so I can't have those tropical fruits. I currently have peach, pear, plum, apricot, and cherry trees. I'll be adding apple and possibly pomegranate.

Also have a variety of berry plants- goumi, goji, blackberry, raspberry, grapes, kiwi, elderberry and aronia (chokeberry).

I like the variety because it allows me to harvest fresh fruit/berries for about 6 months/year.

This is my first year with chickens and I'm using a chicken tractor to spread their waste/fertility most of the year and will be switching to a fixed-location deep litter setup soon for the winter.

I used to live in southern California and had 53 fruit and nut trees on my tiny .25 acre lot, everything from bananas to cherries. Moved to central Oregon, tried to plant 25 fruit trees to get started, mostly apple, cherry, pear and plum. Very few of them have stayed alive, despite watering and being planted in alpaca poop and compost amended soil. It seems there is a learning curve to growing anything this far north?

@Bluechick2u- Sorry to hear about that. Sounds like you selected proper varieties. I haven't had any outright casualties, though some plants have taken off faster than others. Not sure what your specific problem is and it sounds like you have plenty of experience. Just throwing out ideas, so please don't be insulted as they are basic:
  • I believe Oregon has plenty of rain. Possibly over-watering?
  • I know chicken poo is considered too "hot" to use raw and should be composted before being used for fertilizer. Is that possibly true for alpaca poo?
  • It is best to plant trees when they are dormant- late fall or early spring. That reduces shock.
  • If working with a containerized tree and the roots are overgrown/encircling, then I'll knock off the dirt and spread out the roots as much as possible before planting. Sometimes, you have to cut some of the roots if it is bad enough.
  • When planting, do not cover the root flare (bulge at the bottom of the trunk).
  • Do not pile mulch against the trunk. I can't believe how many violate this rule. It holds moisture against the bark and can cause it to rot.
Here is a very good set of instructions from the Arbor Day Foundation on planting. Good luck and hope it works better on your next attempt.

I am in Arizona , I planted Apple,peach,grapes,raspberry,moringa and many veggies. I have a Pygmy goat my personal composter great for growing my plants. I planted mango I have 4sprouted trees that I will need to bring inside when we have cold weather. I love growing plants and share goat droppings with my friends for there trees. Oh I have pineapples growing inside.
Hello there nice to share common interests and the differences in the plants and trees that can be grown between Florida and Arizona, The weather here is hot and humid when it rains it pours my property has sandy soil. The only problem I had was with squash bugs the squash comes out good but the squash bugs destroyed my water melon, cantaloupe, squash, cucumber etc.
What kind of mango plants did you plant, I have carrie, Haden, Lancetilla, Kent.

I used to live in southern California and had 53 fruit and nut trees on my tiny .25 acre lot, everything from bananas to cherries. Moved to central Oregon, tried to plant 25 fruit trees to get started, mostly apple, cherry, pear and plum. Very few of them have stayed alive, despite watering and being planted in alpaca poop and compost amended soil. It seems there is a learning curve to growing anything this far north?

I would suggest you get the soil tested based on which you can decide remedial measures.

Hello there nice to share common interests and the differences in the plants and trees that can be grown between Florida and Arizona, The weather here is hot and humid when it rains it pours my property has sandy soil. The only problem I had was with squash bugs the squash comes out good but the squash bugs destroyed my water melon, cantaloupe, squash, cucumber etc.
What kind of mango plants did you plant, I have carrie, Haden, Lancetilla, Kent.
I bought my mangos at Walmart they were yummy, I planted pits in my garden and I have 4 small trees. I have to transplant them into pots. Winters get to chilly here. I need them to grow a couple years before they can handle the cold. Walmart got them from Mexico. I did pretty good with cantaloupe and cucumber. We have a monsoon season when we get are crazy storms.

I bought my mangos at Walmart they were yummy, I planted pits in my garden and I have 4 small trees. I have to transplant them into pots. Winters get to chilly here. I need them to grow a couple years before they can handle the cold. Walmart got them from Mexico. I did pretty good with cantaloupe and cucumber. We have a monsoon season when we get are crazy storms.
Mangos are tropical fruits trees they cannot tolerate frost they need to be protected from cold weather.

Back
Top Bottom