Fruit Trees!!!!!

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by smom1976, Jan 18, 2009.

1. smom1976

smom1976 too many projects too little time!

May 2, 2008
    Pensacola, FL
    Oh how cool.. I just got off the phone with someone in Crestview.. they are going to sell me some fruit trees for 5$ a piece.. I will be getting 3 apple and 2 peach.. This is part of the plan to become more self sufficient.. peaches and apples sound nice.. they are 4-6 foot bare root trees.. how many years do you think it will take for them to start producing fruit.. and how far appart do I need to plant them?

[​IMG] I am excited.. he didnt have any more plum.. but that would have been nice too..

2. Henrietta23

Henrietta23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2007
    Eastern CT
    Nice!! I ordered two dwarf apple trees last year and paid a lot more than that. Not sure how soon you can expect fruit. These are my first fruit trees!

3. TillinWithMyPeeps

TillinWithMyPeeps Waiting for Spring...

Aug 22, 2008
    Ohio
    I'm really Jealous... [​IMG]

That is a great deal. Peaches start producing quickly and at 4 to 6 feet tall, you may be getting peaches this summer.

4. smom1976

May 2, 2008
    Pensacola, FL
    oh maybe I should post this on the deal of the year thread.. LOL

Last edited: Jan 18, 2009
  5. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

You will probably get fruit next season not this upcoming one. We have apple, pear, apricot, peach, cherry, almond (for the birds). I know I forgetting one or two...

6. The Chicken Lady

The Chicken Lady Moderator Staff Member

Apr 21, 2008
    West Michigan
    My parents have a small orchard, so I grew up around apple, peach, pear and plum trees. It was the best to have fresh fruit available in the backyard every summer.

Fruit trees require a bit of management if you want to be able to use the fruit for cooking and canning. You may want to read up on pruning and spraying your trees with pesticides or a natural alternative. Fruit trees are very prone to attracting insects, and you'll end up with wormy apples or tons of yellowjackets in the fruit if you aren't careful.

If it's legal in your area, bag up the fallen apples in autumn and sell them to local deer hunters (in some places, deer baiting is illegal). It's a great way to keep your orchard clean and also make an extra profit.

7. smom1976

May 2, 2008
    Pensacola, FL
    Quote:no need to sell my husband will be all over that..

Am I really going to get fruit next season?? WOW

How far apart do I plant them?

8. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

We net our trees to keep the birds out. They are our biggest pest. Smoms - we have our planted about 7-10 feet apart but that isn't necessary. We just have a huge yard. I would think that 3-4 feet would be enough.

9. Shared Acres

Shared Acres Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2008
    Northeast Fla
    I live in Fla as well, where did you get them from? Do they ship?

10. smom1976

May 2, 2008
    Pensacola, FL

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by