Fruit Trees?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by TheBrumstead, Sep 29, 2011.

1. TheBrumstead

TheBrumstead Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2011
    Hobart, IN
    I got an email from a local farm stand/nursery and they have "select" fruit trees on sale for $5. We were planning on getting 3-4 apple trees and maybe a peach tree in the spring. When are apple trees supposed to be planted? I was thinking the spring… we're in Zone 5. Do they need any special winter care? We get subzero temps, snow, ice, everything.

2. quercus21

quercus21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2008
    Tivoli, NY
    Personally, I like planting trees in the early spring, when they are still dormant but no fear of a hard freeze. I think the plants will acclimate to the area before the stress of winter. You can also keep an eye on the watering needs of the plant easier.

Enjoy

3. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Ask the nursery you're buying the apple trees from if you can get more than one type. They need to cross pollinate. You need to get the right types together if you want fruit. The nursery staff should be able to tell you more.
    You can plant them out anytime, as long as it's not a very hot day. Don't disturb the roots when you plant them and give lots of water the first few days.
    Enjoy!

4. deerman

deerman Rest in Peace 1949-2012

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    Tree are best planted spring or fall. fall is really good because the roots will grow even thru the winter. Then the trees will be better for the new buds.

5. TheBrumstead

TheBrumstead Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2011
    Hobart, IN
    Well, apple trees were a bust. They had Honey Crisps on sale for $20, but the others needed to cross polinate started at $55.... so I got a $5 Bing Cherry and $5 Red Haven Peach. I'll definitely can/use both of those!

6. deerman

deerman Rest in Peace 1949-2012

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    Quote:The cherry and peach in this area , make sure to spray them for bores........every year.

7. mrkpero

mrkpero Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2008
    Congrats on your fruit trees! I like to plant most of my trees in the fall. That way I only have to water periodically until the fall rains come. I always mulch heavily at planting time and fertilize them in the spring. I love our red haven peach trees. I know I probably should use pesticides, but I never have and we do pretty well. Good luck with yours!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by