fruit

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by fowlsessed, Nov 19, 2011.

1. fowlsessed

fowlsessed Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2011
    east Tennessee
    I read that feeding fruit to your hens will decrease or even stop egg laying. Has anyone had experiance with this.

2. Chick15

Chick15 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2011
    I read that also, but its a lie!! [​IMG]

3. LT

LT Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2011
    West Fork
    I have never read that, so I don't know the source. But I can tell you my girls get an apple to share almost every day, and the egg production has never decreased.

4. zzGypsy

zzGypsy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2011
    apples, persimmons, watermellon, peaches... still getting eggs. [​IMG]

5. fowlsessed

fowlsessed Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2011
    east Tennessee
    Thanks, my chickens thank all of you aswell.lol

6. duckinnut

duckinnut Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2010
    Marshfield, Ma.
    Obviously a layer based feed has all what a layer requires for optimum laying and birds just on that diet solely will give you the best results. But for us BYCers that are looking for eggs and enjoyment from our girls and optimum laying is not an issue, fruit and all treats are not going to effect overall production from them as long as it is in moderation just like anything. Feeding just fruit as a main source of food you will see a difintive drop in egg production because it does not have all what a chicken needs to produce eggs. I am guilty as the next for giving my girls treats and probably more than I should but I am happy with the production I am getting. Have been focusing on protein treats with 4(at least) in heavy molt. Just remember moderation is key.

7. Baymule

Baymule Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2010
    Northeast Texas
    Frozen watermelon in the summer=happy hens! [​IMG] Eggs keep on keeping on. [​IMG]

8. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Potential problem could be were birds eat too much fruit. They can eat only so much food in a day. If too much fruit is consumed, then that can limit how much of other protein, fat, key vitamin and mineral rich items can be consumed. Chickens do appear to have a bit of a sweet tooth so over eating on fruit does seem plausible.

9. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Chillin' With My Peeps

My son's father told me the same thing... What I could never get him to understand is that just because he read it in a book does NOT make it true!

When it comes to the hen's diet moderation in all things seems to be the key. JMO

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by