fruits and decreased egg laying?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by JamieandShady, May 22, 2007.

1. JamieandShady

JamieandShady Out Of The Brooder

May 7, 2007
    Oak Hill TX
    I heard that when you give hens fruit they won't lay for weeks after the fruit is taken away. anyone know if this is true?

2. millicent

millicent Out Of The Brooder

May 4, 2007
    Livermore, Maine
    never heard that...the kids give mine apple cores and strawberry ends and i am flush with eggs...would they were gold, i would be RICH![​IMG]

3. dlhunicorn

dlhunicorn Human Encyclopedia

Jan 11, 2007
    Quote:I do not have any idea where this started (except that some frutis are poisonous to your birds)
    By the way...apple seeds are poisonous to your birds (they will not keel over dead but it will cause damage in the long run)

4. Whirlwind

Whirlwind Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    Tuttle, Oklahoma
    My chickies have been eating mulberries for days and days as we had a bumper crop here and they daytime free range. No notice in any drop in egg production.

5. GinaSki

GinaSki Out Of The Brooder

Mar 14, 2007
    I have a significant INCREASE in the number of my eggs every time I give them cantelope !! They LOVE it.... and on Saturday mornings I am using up last years blueberries from the freezer too... I toss some slightly defrosted into the chopper with some no salt cottage cheese for a quick blend and I am the QUEEN of the Chicks when I arrive at the chick run this this well appreciated treat !!! They come a' runnin!![​IMG]

6. JamieandShady

JamieandShady Out Of The Brooder

May 7, 2007
    Oak Hill TX
    Okay great cause I was planning on giving them fruit here and there.

7. Barnyard Dawg

Barnyard Dawg Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2007
    Northern California
    We feed our chickens lots of fruit with no negative effects. Mostly from our backyard blackberries, boysenberries and figs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by