Fruits and veggies

Discussion in 'Pheasants and Partridge (Chukar)' started by quail 247, Oct 4, 2012.

1. quail 247

quail 247 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 29, 2008
    I was wondering what are some good fruits and veggies that i can feed my red goldens and my swinhoe?

2. Tony K T

Tony K T Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Any fruit and veggies good for them.
    In N.H.,Tony.

3. suki'smom

suki'smom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2011
    Central Wisconsin
    I have ringnecks and their favorite veggie, by far, is cucumbers sliced in half the long way. I wouldn't buy storebought cukes though as they have a wax coating on them, unless you want to peel them I guess lol Mine also love tomatoes and watermelon. Have fun :)

4. Mahlzeit

Mahlzeit Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2007
    Long Island NY
    Apples and cantaloupe are a huge favorite of mine.

5. featherhead

featherhead Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2008
    Kentucky, USA
    Raisins, watermelon, cantaloupe, tomatoes, red seedless grapes, kale, fresh corn on the cob, unsalted peanuts, any fresh lettuce without preservatives, plums.

6. Attack Chicken

Attack Chicken [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Hu

Sep 25, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    So far mine wont touch anything besides grapes. Just bought a pumpkin and threw in there for them but they wont go near it.

7. Tony K T

Jul 28, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Please be careful with the grapes.Cut them in half.My temminick male swollowed one and choked.I tried everything to get it lose,but I couldn't.He was a very tame bird and would eat right out of my hand.It always happens to your favorites.After their first peck at the pumpkin,it will be time for another one.
    This is he in my avatar.
    In N.H.,Tony.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2012
  8. Attack Chicken

Sep 25, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    Oh yes I go so far to even quarter the grapes. Spent to much time learning and trying to tame the adult pair and now their 3 young ones to lose them. Still haven't touched that pumpkin. Not sure if I should go out and cut it up smaller to be less intimidating?

I am sorry to hear about you're male :( He was a very beautiful bird

9. Tony K T

Jul 28, 2008
    New Hampshire
    I see you have yellow goldens.Is that the only species you have?Yes,he was a very friendly bird,he would jump to the lower roost which was right by the door when you walked in and wait for his treats.
    In N.H.,Tony.

10. Attack Chicken

Sep 25, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    Yes as of right now Yellow Goldens are the only ones. I wanted to start off with an easy/low priced pair then possibly get some Ladys[​IMG] but that will be sometime in the future. I can bring my young yellow male in the house with me to love on and then let him walk on the floor without him flipping out like the others.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by