Frustrated about eggs!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by coconutmamax3, Jun 1, 2010.

1. coconutmamax3

coconutmamax3 New Egg

Jan 4, 2010
    I am new. I met a family with chickens, thought it was great, found this website and began my obsession! I built an incubator out of a cooler as seen on the website, ordered 18 Ameraucana in Feb. and they FINALLY arrived on the 24th, only one was broken. [​IMG] They were over a week in transit and I am concerned they will not hatch. They have been in the bator for 8 full days now. I candled them and only one looks like it has the "spider vein" look. One is too dark to tell, one is blotchy, and the rest look like the yoke is just rolling around inside. Is that normal?
  2. chichi56788

chichi56788 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2010
    Columbia, SC
    Same happed with me. Out of the 12 I received, only 4 were fertile. Non fertile ones are the ones that
    look like the yoke is just rolling around inside

Spider vain is good. Not sure about the blotchy one. I had a blotchy one i didnt think would hatch and it just piped!​
  3. ChickFila

ChickFila Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2010
    Blue and Green eggs are hard to tell by candling before 12 days old. Even at 12 days, I couldn't see inside well for some eggs. I just leave them in bator, and most of them hatched well in the end.
    If you are not sure, leave them in bator.
    Do another candling at 12-14 days, and if you are sure there's no vein developing, remove them.
    Shipping is very hard on eggs, I put 15 shipped eggs in bator 10 days ago and only 3 of them are growing now.
    I don't think it's my mistake, because I had couple 100% hatch from shipped eggs. It's just bad luck from shipping even though it took only 2 days to arrive my home.
    So don't be upset, you can try again and you will get many chicks! [​IMG]
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2010
  4. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
  5. UGAchick

UGAchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2010
    Athens, GA
    When in doubt, I leave them in. I haven't had an "explosions" or anything. The bad ones will simply not hatch. You might want to look into getting local eggs in the future. Obviously the selection isn't as great, but I have had much better luck with the eggs that I handled, as opposed to the postal service. Good luck and don't give up!!
  6. FarmGirl01

FarmGirl01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2008
    Try to get local eggs. Shipping is just so hard on the eggs. The week in transit shouldn't be to bad. I have held eggs for that long and they hatched. Just don't give up. Its hard at first, but it gets easier.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by