Frustrated and sad

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by birdygal, Oct 23, 2011.

1. birdygal

birdygal Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2011
    I love chickens, but am terribly allergic to them so cannot go in the coop and touch them My husband brought home chickens to eat bugs in the yard. The kids told him not to because knowing how he is he would make them take care of them. Well I named them and love them. He says since they have been made pets he has no responsibility to them. they are ours.(mine and kids) Be cause of my dangerous asthma I have trouble doing what needs to be done like clipping the scissor beak and cleaning the coop. We lost 2 chickens in the last few days one to a predator ( my guess and another fell in duck pool and drowned. Both hens.) I just think he does not do enough to take care of them and maybe i am wrong, but he yells and screams at me because I am upset: that they are just chickens. It is always hens we lose. Now we have like 10 rosters and 3 hens left. I am just hurt and upset and cannot think straight. it is frustrating to have the dealing of chronic asthma and depend on others to take care of things you would do if you could. I could just use anyone's call or understanding on this. maybe it is me that is wrong in all this. We got into it because they are just dumb birds to him and he was mad I was upset. Not only because 2 dead hens, but the one mama had no food or water in her cage with her baby and he was mad we let her sit on eggs. I did not know anything about this at all. How could I keep her form setting.? I cannot get to inside the barn without seizing up. Thoughts?

2. mrpekinduck

mrpekinduck Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2011
    Ducky Land!
    Oh, I'm so sorry! [​IMG] I don't want to offend you but it seems that chickens are just nt you're cup of tea. Try giving them to a friend or even actioning them off on here. Sorry I don't know of a better solution it just seems like thay are causing problems in you're family and endangering you're life. Don't feel bad about giving them up you tried and I'm sure the chickens won't care. Try not to stress yourself out as I don't want you to go into shock because you went too close to the chickens. Either give them aw2ay or tell you're hubby that he needs to take resonsibility for his actions and take care of those birds. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    You have my sympathy. I agree with mrpekinduck and I strongly urge you to find your birds new homes. You are medically unable to care for them and they are detrimental to your health. It would also be detrimental for your birds' health, safety, and welfare not to find them another place to live. You can put an ad on craigslist, perhaps put them up for adoption at your feed store, like our feed store here. I wish you the best.

4. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    I would post an ad in your local paper/at the local feed store/on Craigslist to come get the rest of the flock. You are in no position to care for them, your children don't want to care for them, and your husband won't care for them, so they need to find someone who will (or at the very least give them a clean death as a future meal).

You are in a tough situation and I would not presume to tell you how to live your life, but these are living creatures that need care and sustenance in order to survive. If your family cannot provide that then you have a responsibility to ensure they get it elsewhere.

I am sorry. Both for them and for you.

5. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Hubby or kids need to take care of food and water and look the chickens over every morning. If you ever have to go in there,. get yourself some masks.

6. chickyboomboom

chickyboomboom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2011
    So sorry to hear that. Just wondering how old are your kids? Depending on age, they can do basics like refill food and water and maybe you could pay a preteen neighbor kid $5 to come clean out the coop once a week? Also maybe get a really good mask to wear in the coop? Hope things get better for you:hugs

7. birdygal

birdygal Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2011
    Thanks for all the advice and replies. I don't know. I maybe too picky and over reacting. I love the chickens.

8. mrpekinduck

Jun 29, 2011
    Ducky Land!
    Maybe you can keep one and give away the rest? Sorry but its not healthy for you or the birds to live that way. [​IMG]

9. Davian

Davian Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2010
    Vermont, USA
    Quote:One bird would be awfully lonely by itself. Chickens are very social animals.

10. mrpekinduck

Jun 29, 2011
    Ducky Land!
    Not if you spend ALOT of time with it so you can give it constant company. Or buy a goldfish, you'd be amazed what entertains birds! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by