Frustrated: lost my new silkie:Update!!!!

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by Nekhebet, Nov 28, 2010.

1. Nekhebet

Nekhebet Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2010
    Erie
    So, maybe this wasn't the best thing in the long run, but: I picked up a lavender silkie pullet to appease my serama roo. His hen got killed awhile back when my daughter went to put them in the run...she didn't notice that the top netting had fallen in with the high winds (it's bright green, she just wasn't paying any attention)...the hen flew out, and my dogs got to her. She was dead minutes later.

So on Thanksgiving I picked up a lavender pullet for him...he was kind of on the fence with her, so they've been in separate dog kennels (the wire kind) since. Today I thought they were ok to let roam the yard, but didn't want to pen them in together in case he got angry about it, so I let them roam. I told my daughter to put them inside....and she picked up the serama, then proceeded to chase the spooked silkie across the yard. When I got out there, she wouldn't let me near, so I yelled for my husband...he of course, didn't hear me. When we went back outside, we tried to get her between the house and the fence...I went back inside to go around, as he had her in the very BACK of the yard, so of course he decides to try to pen her in the middle, where i WAS.

Instead, he chased her out, and I was no longer there, and now she is gone. No sign of her anywhere. We checked the two neighbors yards nearest to us, and I checked the yard across the street. Hubby walked up and down the street, no sign of the bird...and it's COLD tonight. I'm just so frustrated I could scream. What in the world tells an 8 year old girl that it's a good idea to chase the bird back and forth across the yard like that? Had she just told us the bird was walking away from her, we could have gone out there right away and boxed her in!
    On top of everything, I know there's possums out here...which is why my birds are indoors at night!!! [​IMG] It's not like the silkie can fly enough to perch herself somewhere high away from predators either.

I don't know how in the world to teach this little girl that there are consequences to her actions. I know in retrospect that although the serama doesn't run way from us (he isn't a lap bird however), the silkie should not have been unpenned. (In my defense, she does not run away like that indoors, I think DD spooked her). Any ideas? I am at wits end with my child, it really seems like she doesn't pay attention to anything, or care about anything but herself. [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 29, 2010
  2. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Wasnt she chasing the bird because you told her to put the birds inside? [​IMG]

3. Nekhebet

Aug 25, 2010
    Erie
    Quote:It was more like she was chasing it to wring it's neck. [​IMG]
    I mean, kind of like if someone was getting chased by an axe murderer. I may "chase" my birds for a few feet, but not all the way back and forth across the yard. The bird was terrified, and clearly wasn't going to give up after that.
    I stopped her as soon as I saw what she was doing, but clearly, the silkie already had it by that point. [​IMG]((

*ETA: when I "chase" it's more like walking as close as you can, then grabbing. Not running around like a maniac, arms waving etc*

Last edited: Nov 28, 2010
  4. The Lisser

The Lisser Chillin' With My Peeps

Hope your silkie returns [​IMG]

I think it's just the nature of children to not listen and to not be able to think about the consequences of their actions. I bet I repeat myself to my daughter a thousand times a day. She is a smart kid, and sometimes she she does think ahead but most of the time she's off in her own little world and not paying attention. It is hard to manage kids and animals at the same time!

5. Nekhebet

Aug 25, 2010
    Erie
    Quote:Thanks. [​IMG]

Sometimes I wonder what the heck she's thinking about in there. Rainbows and unicorns? I swear, she literally doesn't see things right in front of her face sometimes, she's so caught up in her own little world. I really don't remember being like that as a kid.

6. redhen

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Yeah..i think shes just a kid... she doesnt fully understand yet how to do it correctly.
    Now..if she was chasing the bird like that to catch and hurt it.. THAT would be another thing...
    But i think she was just "trying" to catch the bird for you like you asked her to do.

Hope it comes back for you!! [​IMG]

7. Nekhebet

Aug 25, 2010
    Erie
    Quote:Thanks, I am actually really frustrated and sad right now. It's just a chicken, right?
    But she had the biggest, darkest eyes, and the smoothest neck. I really wanted to brush that "fur". I haven't even had her for a week!!!!! I can't understand where she would have gone so fast, it's not like she could fly, we were RIGHT out there after her, and she was GONE.

8. redhen

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Quote:Thanks, I am actually really frustrated and sad right now. It's just a chicken, right?
    But she had the biggest, darkest eyes, and the smoothest neck. I really wanted to brush that "fur". I haven't even had her for a week!!!!! I can't understand where she would have gone so fast, it's not like she could fly, we were RIGHT out there after her, and she was GONE.

I dont blame you for being worried about her.. its getting cold out. [​IMG]
    I bet she'll come back at dark to roost...
    Can you keep the run open for her?? And have the others locked inside the coop? or something?

9. Nekhebet

Aug 25, 2010
    Erie
    Yeah, I'll do that. She slipped through the boards of the driveway fencing, so if she is so inclined, she could come back. I just don't know if she will "remember" where she was at before. She has only been here a few days...but it's worth a shot.

10. welasharon

welasharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    I am so sorry! Children have to be taught to have compassion for animals so you are right to be annoyed with her for chasing the chicken whether she meant any harm or not. They do have to learn consequences for their actions even if the outcome was unintentional. I would point out to her how sad the chicken surely is that she chased her and how would she feel if she was chased like that. I hope your chickie makes its way back!
    sharon

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by