1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Frustrated OEG Bantam Roo

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by 2ManyChicksNOT, Jun 11, 2016.

1. 2ManyChicksNOT

2ManyChicksNOT New Egg

Jun 11, 2016
    I have an OEG bantam roo in a run with 10+ hens. One is a self blue bantam and the rest are standards. The roo is (apparently) sexually frustrated but wants nothing to do with the self blue or the majority of the hens for that matter. He ONLY wants my EE to three point where he has ripped out those back feathers down to the skin and even let the skin severely scratched from trying to mate with them. We have taken him out of the run so the girls don't get hurt anymore. But everyone the roo has acres to the EE it's the same thing all over again. He is a beautiful boy but my husband says he should be culled. Any advice?

2. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

Any bird that aggressive needs to either be kept away from your hens permanently or culled. Cockerels like this usually retain their personality as they age and will do nothing but make your hens miserable.

3. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Agrees with Misha...but curious...how old are birds?

4. 2ManyChicksNOT

2ManyChicksNOT New Egg

Jun 11, 2016
    Roo is about 2 years old. Hens and pullets range between 2years and 3 months. The EE are about 1 1/2.

5. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    I'd say bye bye to that boy........if it was a young cockerel, might be worth managing until maturity.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by