Frustrated with fencing

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by spoonie, Jun 25, 2008.

1. spoonie

spoonie Out Of The Brooder

Jun 16, 2008
    Juda, WI
    I've been trying for three weeks to find reasonably priced run wire that will stand up to the various predators in my area (coons, weasels, foxes, coyotes, blah blah, everything wants to eat my chickens.) and I can't for the life of me find anywhere to get it. I'm looking for either stucco wire or decent galvanized welded wire. Does anyone have any stores (either chain) or local for Monroe/Madison, WI?

Last edited: Jun 25, 2008
  2. brooster

brooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2007
    northwest Ohio
    What stores do you have near you? TSC, Home depot, Lowes, Menards?

3. spoonie

Jun 16, 2008
    Juda, WI
    Home Depot, Lowe's, Menards.. I've actually been into the first two looking for what I want, but everything seems so flimsy and cheap I don't want to get it. I haven't been able to hit Menards yet, but I called and the guy I talked to said he wasn't sure they had what I was looking for.

4. Chirpy

Chirpy Balderdash

May 24, 2007
    Colorado
    I grew up in Janesville, WI and the Farm and Fleet there used to carry fencing ... oh, but that was a zillion years ago so I don't know if they still do.

There must be something like a Big R near Madison (I know that Big R is in Ill but not in WI)? You could do a google search and see what you can find.

I'd check out Menards and see for yourself also.

5. spoonie

Jun 16, 2008
    Juda, WI
    My main trouble is finding 1x1. If I get a 2x2 or a 2x4 opening, the coons can yank birds through, and the weasels can go right in, can't they?

6. Chirpy

Chirpy Balderdash

May 24, 2007
    Colorado
    Yes, they can. What most of us do is to use the 2x2 or 2x4 for the main fencing and then use hardware cloth (if you can afford it) or 1" chicken wire and wrap it around the bottom two feet of the 2x4 fencing, also burying it into the ground at least 15 inches.

If you can afford to do your whole run in hardware cloth you would have the perfect, predator proof run.

Edited for spelling.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2008
  7. spoonie

Jun 16, 2008
    Juda, WI
    If I did that (2x4 and chicken hex) would I need to bury the 2x4 in 15" too?

8. Chirpy

Chirpy Balderdash

May 24, 2007
    Colorado
    That would certainly add extra security but most people don't bury the 2x4, just what they used to wrap around. I wrapped my 2x4 welded wire with 1" chicken wire and buried the chicken wire almost 2 feet and elbowed it out at the bottom.

9. spoonie

Jun 16, 2008
    Juda, WI
    Ok, that would solve a lot of my problems. I was worried I would end up having to order it online.. and that is big time expensive. We have a Farm and Fleet right in town that carries the 2x4 at really low prices, but I just didn't think I could use that. My husband will be happy. [​IMG]

10. carwinew

carwinew Out Of The Brooder

Mar 24, 2008
    Have you tried Tractor Supply? They have lots of fencing products. I checked their store locator and there are quite a few stores in Wisconsin. Right now they have free shipping for over $25 if you don't find a store near you. Go to their website and they have a store locator option. http://www.tractorsupply.com

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by