Frustrated with illness!

sassymo

Hatching
9 Years
May 16, 2010
OK, so I'm new to chickens however I spent ALOT of time prior to getting chickens on researching what I needed to do, how to best care for them, etc. Two weeks ago I bought 12 chickens from one chicken farmer. Having never bought chickens I didn't know what criteria to have and quite honestly I never came across any information while researching. They have a 4x10' coop with a 8x10' roaming area. After having them about one week I noticed one of my chickens with a closed eye that soon turned into a small amount of drainage and she was "gaping." Another chicken began having a significant amount of smelling greyish drainage from it's nose and crusty eyes, but no "gaping." We took these two to the vet and were given medicine for gapeworm. We quarantined both of them and another that we noted with closed eyes (we got medicine for her too). Well all three of them died today. And one of the remaining 9 looks like she has bubbles in the corner of one eye. I'm thinking either Coryza or CRD. So what do I do? I'm planning on treating the others as soon as I can get Tylan from the feed store tomorrow but can I expect them all to get it and die? And if they do where do I even begin to look for new chickens? It seems that this is a controversial subject. What immunizations do I need to ask about and what type of hatchery do I need to find? BTW these are laying pullets but I'm thinking if there is a next time I need to just start with babies.

All I can say is to not get any more chooks from that particular chicken farmer. It seems to me that you're doing the right things...but mabe some of the other guys on here can help with that, so
Should they put some sorta vitamin in the water, or something???

My best advice would be to cull the birds. Sounds harsh, I realize, but so many common chicken diseases are carrier-type/Typhoid Mary diseases and will stay in your flock if you treat them. Folks are generally ignorant of this fact and often sell to others, making someone else's flock ill in the process. Or maybe they just don't care. That's why I never buy birds from individuals, even those I trust. Sorry for your troubles.

Back
Top Bottom