Frustrated with loose stools in pullet

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chickiegrrl, Nov 5, 2013.

1. chickiegrrl

chickiegrrl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2013
    Monticello, MN
    I am going crazy trying to get my girl to have normal stools like the rest of my girls. Here's the deal, ever since we got this pullet as a chick she has had intermittent loose stools. It would just squirt out. As she grew up, she would have normal poo and loose poo on and off. She doesn't have blood in her stool. She is now nearly 6 months old. She's growing, laying eggs daily, she's a healthy weight, she is bright, curious, sweet. She's a normal chicken except for this poo issue! Could this be her normal? Can I stop worrying about her poo or is it something that should be addressed? Oh, btw, I did worm them with fenbendazole 2x 7 days apart a couple of weeks ago. It didn't change a darn thing. Here is a pic of the poop:
    [​IMG]

Also, I have looked at chicken poo pictures like crazy. I guess I'm wondering what you would do if you had this girl in your flock?
    I appreciate any replies! Thank you!!

2. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Some chickens just seem to have runnier droppings. As long as she's acting normal, she's probably fine. If I had a bird like her in my flock, I would leave her alone if she was acting healthy. Try giving some probiotics, as they can help with digestive tract health.

3. chickiegrrl

chickiegrrl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2013
    Monticello, MN
    Thank you for your reply Wyandottes7! It's funny, just as I decided that this is Red Hen's normal, she pooped a HUGE, stinky, green poo in the run yesterday. It was so gross that I knew it had to be something else. I took her to the vet yesterday and they did an exam and a fecal on her. She has a huge Giardia infection. I know that birds can harbor Giardia, but this is affecting her pretty severely. The vet has her on fenbendazole for 5 days. We're treating the whole flock as well even though nobody else is showing symptoms. I know there's no way that we can totally get rid of the Giardia. We have so many wild animals in our yard. But at least now I can be aware and worm them every few months or when someone starts showing signs. Hopefully it will start kicking in soon. I'll be happy when she feels better.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by