Frustrated with My Feathered Freeloaders!!! **UPDATE**

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by loralei, Oct 13, 2009.

1. loralei

loralei Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2009
    New Caney, Texas
    Hey ya'll! I have 21 hens of various breeds that are now 20 weeks old. One of my EE's has started laying as of this past Sunday! I have now retreived 2 beautiful, albiet smallish, blue-green eggs! [​IMG]

I have:

6 Golden and Buff Laced Polish
    5 Cuckoo Morans
    2 Golden Wyandottes
    3 Araucanas
    5 Blue Andalusians

My CM's are the largest and most mature looking with their lovely combs and wattles. I expected them to start laying first. But nooooo!

Does laying vary from breed to breed? When can I expect the rest of those freeloaders to start givin' a lil' somethin' back? lol

Thanks!

Last edited: Oct 16, 2009
  2. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Does laying vary from breed to breed? When can I expect the rest of those freeloaders to start givin' a lil' somethin' back? lol

Yes it varies by breed. They'll start when they are ready. At 20 weeks could be anytime or a couple months. With that many I would expect at least some of them to start soon.
    Last year I had a couple that waited till they were in the 30+ weeks old.

Imp- Ain't anticipation great. [​IMG]

3. Hillbilly Hen

Hillbilly Hen Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2009
    Newaygo Michigan
    My EE's were the last ones to start laying for me.

4. france

france Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2009
    North East
    Mine are all 23 weeks and nothing yet. Of course now the days are shorter and the weather is cooler.

5. loralei

loralei Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2009
    New Caney, Texas
    Thanks Imp! Now I have that old ketchup commercial song "anticipation" stuck in my head! lol Ahhhh! Happy childhood memories! [​IMG]

At 23 weeks france, they must be brewin' some big ol' eggs! ;-)

Guess I'll just sit n' wait while my babies grow up!

6. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Quote:I seem to have that effect on a lot of people. Lol If you were closer I'd give you some eggs. I always have too many.

Imp

7. Ravynwood

Ravynwood Out Of The Brooder

Oct 13, 2009
    Champaign, IL
    I musta gotten lucky my chickens started laying at 18 weeks and I know get at least 3 eggs a day from my 5 New Hampshires even with light fading down to fewer hours and the temp dropping. But these are HUGE eggs, I would swear they were Duck eggs.

BUT the chickens from the same clutch that I took to my parents have yet to lay even now. Let see they were out of the bator on 4/29. I dunno, guess its up to the chicken.

Ravyn

8. HBuehler

HBuehler Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2009
    Lebanon TN
    20 weeks is young then factor in shorter days...you could have a longer wait. My brown egg layers were hatched a week before Easter and just started laying 2 weeks ago and then not all of them have started yet...only about half.My white egg laying girls have been at it for quite some time though.

9. Bantimna

Bantimna Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2009
    South Africa
    Some take long others not. like someone on here has got an EE that started laying at 17 weeks. just be patient

10. newchicksnducks

newchicksnducks Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm with your...frustrated. I have 3 EE's that are 24 weeks old. One has been laying for 3 weeks...only one! The rest of the flock of 15 are at 19 weeks and 16 weeks. I'm willing to wait a bit for them. But if one "sister" is on the ball, I think the other two need to step it up:)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by