Frustrated with neighbor's chickens!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by fuzidragonbunnie, Sep 4, 2009.

1. fuzidragonbunnie

fuzidragonbunnie Out Of The Brooder

Aug 27, 2009
    Pahrump
    I just need to rant.

Our next door neighbors, who are nice people, I guess, albeit not yellow crayons in the box, have chickens and they use part of the fence that divides our yards for one side of their pen (horse fencing). They have over 20 chickens in a space designed for probably 10, and don't listen to us when we tell them that the fence isn't high enough and that the hens will fly over the coop. [​IMG] So far this summer they have had four hens go over onto our side and our dogs have gotten all of them save one that I got to in time-they got to a beautiful little hen today and instantly snapped its neck. Our dogs are not interested in eating the hens, they just think they're a moving toy. [​IMG]

I feel terrible, since we have chickens ourselves (our pen is fortified with a 10 foot small squared horse fence, there's plenty of space so that they don't feel crowded and we constantly watch the chickens from our kitchen window and re-route any that do get loose) because a loss of a life is still a loss of a life. [​IMG]

I guess we could put up more chicken wire on our side in an attempt to keep their chickens on their side and to keep our dogs from getting more bad ideas.

But, it doesn't really stop ignorant people from doing ignorant things-their dogs aren't treated well all the time and the stay-at-home boyfriend is just lazy!!!!!!!

ARGH!!!!!!!!![​IMG]

2. 19hhbelgian

19hhbelgian Pigs DO Fly!!

Apr 9, 2009
    New Tripoli PA
    That's sad... It's not your fault they are dumb. You have your chickies locked up in a safe pen for a reason, the neighbors should take a hint. Do they even realize the hens are flying over and getting killed? It unfortunately sounds like you're most likely going to have to make your fence higher if you don't want the dogs to keep getting the chickens. It's not only sad for the hens, but a bad thing for your dogs too. Have you really tried to drive home the point to them? I'm frustrated for you! Hope you can figure something out!!

3. Hi!
    "Our next door neighbors, who are nice people, I guess, albeit not yellow crayons in the box..."

I'm not sure what that means.

I think it is the neighbors problem to keep their birds in their space. If you've explained the problem that's all you can do.
    It's sad they are losing birds, but if your fences keep your animals contained --- that's the extent of your responsibility. It doesn't sound (from here) like they are overly concerned about it.
    Good luck!
    Lisa​

4. English Chick

English Chick English Mum

Jun 27, 2008
    Cheshire UK
    It sounds to me like they can't be bothered, if that is the case, perhaps it would be in their birds best interest if they came to live safely with you?

Might be worth asking if she wants to keep them or not, and if not you have them, at least they would be safe and properly cared for.

Lets us all kow how you get on.

5. danielle82

danielle82 A Good Egg

Apr 27, 2009
    Tonasket Wa
    Quote:I'm not sure what that means.

I think it is the neighbors problem to keep their birds in their space. If you've explained the problem that's all you can do.
    It's sad they are losing birds, but if your fences keep your animals contained --- that's the extent of your responsibility. It doesn't sound (from here) like they are overly concerned about it.
    Good luck!
    Lisa

LOL it means they are not the brightest crayons

It is very sad, it sounds like they just don't care! Do they know that there are 4 that have gotten over? It sounds like is nothing you can do...

6. fuzidragonbunnie

fuzidragonbunnie Out Of The Brooder

Aug 27, 2009
    Pahrump
    We have told them about their hens flying over the coop. My DH said today that they have a nesting box right at the fence where the dogs can smell it and see it.

I'm guessing that they don't care-or at least the wife is overwhelmed. She works all day and her boyfriend sits at home and does nothing. We even donated a bunch of fencing to their cause. I talked to the DH today and he said we should ask them that if they're not going to use our fencing, we would like it back and use it to shore up our side of the fence and add chicken wire to the top of the fence to keep their chickens on their side. I looked at the fence again today, and it's only a 5 foot fence.

Thanks for the feedback. I feel a little better. [​IMG]

7. Junkmanme

Junkmanme Chillin' With My Peeps

I'll accept YOUR NEIGHBOR'S chickens in trade for MY NEIGHBOR'S cats!

[​IMG] [​IMG]

8. LupineLass

LupineLass Out Of The Brooder

Sep 3, 2009
    Slowood
    We can lend your neighbours my neighbours dog and they can watch the hens go missing firsthand.

Then when the lesson is over, they can keep the dog because I'm tired of the yapping from 7pm to 7am.

Can't even hear my ladies and Harry greeting the morning anymore.

All stupidity aside, it's not a good situation but I agree with some of the comments here. Your legal duty of care ends with ensuring your animals are restrained, contained and controlled. But I guess the moral duty of care extends to your dogs and the well being of their hens. Secure your fence as much as possible, volunteer to help the "lazy" sod repair the area.

Or DECLARE WAR.

Report them for allowing their livestock to wander at large. If friendly requests fall on deaf ears get someone who warns louder [​IMG]

9. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I agree with the other posts. Apparently they don't care. I think I would do what you suggested and shore up the fence so they can't get into your yard.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by