Frustrated with our Peacock family!

Discussion in 'Peafowl' started by Frank Rudolph, Mar 4, 2012.

1. Is it safe to buy from the paper?

1 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. Is there something you can recomend for us to try?

1 vote(s)
    50.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Frank Rudolph

Frank Rudolph New Egg

Mar 4, 2012
    I do not know what I am doing for sure, but we have been trying to get a Peacock family started for about 3 years and have had very bad luck. We purchased two hens and a cock from a ad in the paper and we had them with our chickens but that did not work at all and they both died. So we built a separate large pen and barn for the peacocks and bought three more from two separate places. This seemed to work great for about 6 months then one of the hens got like a breathing problem and we spent 309.00 at the vet who got it well with antibiotics, but about two weeks ago our male got the same thing and we went looking all over and found BYC site and started reading the responses from other raisers and so far have learned that we are dumb. We never wormed the peacocks and we think that this is probably what killed them. If anyone could give us information on what to do we would be very appreciative.

2. Resolution

Resolution Chillin' With My Peeps

3. Frank Rudolph

Frank Rudolph New Egg

Mar 4, 2012
    I can see that I have alot to learn about Peafowl and taking care of them. I am going to the vet tomorrow and talk with him abouit samples and how to take care of them. Thanks for the advice

4. Doctor T

Doctor T Out Of The Brooder

May 15, 2011
    Missouri
    Welcome to the club, Frank!

We're all learning about these fabulous birds! This is a great place for information, and sharing, both successes and failures. We all benefit from the experience of others.

$309 dollars is quite a vet bill!!

5. Frank Rudolph

Frank Rudolph New Egg

Mar 4, 2012
    Yes this is a high vet bill and is only about a third of what it cost so far, but I am not giving up. We will learn all what we need yet and that is all we can try. I do like the info I get from this site as it is very encouraging and inlightening. Thank you

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by