Frustrated with usps

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Timbeas8907, Feb 13, 2018.

1. Timbeas8907

Timbeas8907 Chirping

Apr 30, 2015
    Illinois
    I ordered some eggs from blue house farms and they shipped them Saturday usps said they'd be here Monday I've been notified 3 separate times that they are in transit to the location but they never arrive. Then today it switched over to delayed in transit new delivery date will be provided when available. At what point should I be worried about the eggs this is my first time having hatching eggs mailed. Obviously I'm already worried about them lol but when should I worry about it messing with hatch rate. Just to be clear in no way is this blue house farms fault I haven't even bothered contacting them because once they dropped them off at the post office it was out of their hands.

2. Chicken-lovebirdchihuahua

Chicken-lovebirdchihuahua Crowing

Dec 17, 2017
    North Carolina
    As long as it's not cold eggs can be stored 60-70 degrees for at least 7-14 days

Timbeas8907 likes this.
  3. Timbeas8907

Timbeas8907 Chirping

Apr 30, 2015
    Illinois
    That's what I'm worried about it's been getting pretty cold at night and who knows where they've been sitting :-(

4. Chicken-lovebirdchihuahua

Dec 17, 2017
    North Carolina
    Oh well I will keep my fingers crossed for you:fl what breed(s) did you get?

Timbeas8907 likes this.
  5. Timbeas8907

Timbeas8907 Chirping

Apr 30, 2015
    Illinois
    Blue laced barndevelder and Swedish flower. I've been wanting the barndevelder ever since me and my wife started getting birds. I was super excited to finally order them :-D

6. Chicken-lovebirdchihuahua

Dec 17, 2017
    North Carolina
    Oh I'm sorry. They are beautiful birds though

Timbeas8907 likes this.
  7. EggSighted4Life

EggSighted4Life Free Ranging

Well to a degree it is partly their fault for shipping on Saturday when USPS doesn't even operate on Sunday. That already adds an extra day right there. Shipping Monday through Wednesday would have lessened any delays. Did they happen to insure the delivery or maybe it's automatically covered up to $100 with priority? I guess that might only help if the eggs are actually broken. :hmm

Anyways, sorry this happened to you. I feel your frustration and glad it isn't live chicks you're waiting on. :barnie

In addition, I will add that while we are some super control freaks :oops: .... mother hens lay their eggs in nest that get cold way colder then 60-70 every single night until she decides to sit. I have also seen people successfully hatch Trader Joe's refrigerator eggs. So while it isn't ideal, not all hope is lost! :)

Hope they arrive soon and in tact. :fl

8. Timbeas8907

Timbeas8907 Chirping

Apr 30, 2015
    Illinois
    The eggs are insured and idk if Saturday or Monday would have made a difference with shipping since they were supposed to be at the post office Monday for pickup. You figure even through the week a Monday shipment wouldn't be available until Wednesday. I'll just keep my fingers crossed USPS gets their heads out of you know where.

9. Timbeas8907

Timbeas8907 Chirping

Apr 30, 2015
    Illinois
    The eggs showed up today and were extremely well packed. They'll be going in the incubator as soon as they warm up enough. :)

lissalischicks likes this.
  10. lissalischicks

lissalischicks Songster

Jan 31, 2016
    Los Angeles, California
    :wee:pop:clap:celebrate:drool:ya:fl

So I think that should explain how i feel. Good luck!!!!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: