Frustrating Family Members!

RikkiMarie

In the Brooder
5 Years
Oct 20, 2014
Pennsylvania, United States
My family and friends are for me having chickens (and ducks) but at the same time they feel the need to have to question everything, which is understandable because I am the first person out of my two siblings to own chickens and ducks at my mother-in-law's house. This is my first time owning chickens and ducks and surprisingly I haven't been doing too bad because I have been doing tons of research, asking questions, and just learning on my own.

To me, my hens, my rooster, my ducks, and my drake are like my family and I treat them as such. What they find awesome is that my animals are so friendly and social and according to them, very fun to watch and pet. They also like the fact that I give eggs to those who are in need because I get quite a bit of eggs a week. They also think my Muscovy ducks and my Speckled Sussex hens and rooster are beautiful - not to mention they are completely bewildered that my rooster is so friendly and lets you pick him up and hold him. (Thanks to the previous owner who was very good to him!)

What makes me SO ANGRY is that they always have to judge. I have a mudroom connected to my house and with that, there is a dog door. Sometimes when they are under supervision while I am outside and they are out of their pens/coop, they like to sneak in through the dog door and hang out in the mudroom and sun room. They also think it's gross that I bathe my chickens and ducks in my bath tub. How is that gross when I am keeping my animals healthy and clean? Also it's not like I have a dirty house! I'm not a germaphobe, but my floors are always clean (steamed) and my rugs are vacuumed, my appliances and counters are sanitized, and my animals are also up to date on shots. And they are getting baths (not regularly but if Penny or Venus wants to roll around in the mud and then proceed to walk into my house... yes they are getting a bath) so how is that gross? It's no different than when your dogs come into your house after being let out in the rain to do their business and they track mud all over the place and also have accidents. How is that any different?

Also do you think what I do is wrong? People say that I shouldn't let my animals even NEAR my house. Uhm... it's my house? If they want to hang out on my sun porch, then by all means if that's what they want to do and also be safe from predators!

You can not please everyone.
There will always be people who feel you should be more like them and less like you.
Brush it off.
Enjoy what you enjoy, if what you do is not immoral, unethical, dangerous, or illegal...It is none of their business.
Enjoy your life. Enjoy your choices, and think of this meme when you do:
399b059d8cb3a6498b9573cb69218653.jpg

Back
Top Bottom