Frustrating weather!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by aggieterpkatie, Apr 28, 2009.

1. aggieterpkatie

aggieterpkatie Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2009
    Maryland
    My chicks are in the shed in a brooder with a heat lamp, and the weather lately has been SO whacky it's driving me crazy! I work full time, so I can't adjust the heat lamp. It's been 90* both yesterday and today, but when I leave for work in the morning it's only around 70*. I have to leave the lamp on because I don't want them to chill before it warms up outside, but I don't want to roast them either! I raised it up pretty far this morning, and tried to slide it just to one side of the brooder. I'm hoping they can get far enough away to stay cool now that it's so hot.

Luckily, the weather is supposed to return to normal tomorrow, so I won't have to worry as much!

2. ~*Sweet Cheeks*~

~*Sweet Cheeks*~ Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    Olympia Washington
    How old are your chicks or how feathered out are they?

3. aggieterpkatie

aggieterpkatie Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2009
    Maryland
    ~*Sweet Cheeks*~ :

How old are your chicks or how feathered out are they?

I got them on Saturday from TSC, and I think they got them on Wednesday. I'm guessing they're just a week old today.

Sunday was hot too, but I was home. I checked on them and they were hot, so I had to raise the lamp. I'm hoping I got it right today.​

4. mmtillman

mmtillman Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] Yep....I bet everyone in the chickenhood is wearing out the heatlamps [​IMG] ...going up and down all day long!! [​IMG]

I know how you feel....I am forunate to be home with mine..but still the temps are whacky for sure...
    But, just know.... as they get older, it wont be so critical an issue ...it does get easier!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by