1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Frustration and more frustrations!!!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by ESofVA, Aug 21, 2013.

1. ESofVA

ESofVA Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2012
    Keller, VA
    Chicks, now pullets. I ordered with a hatch date of March 11, 2013.
    I posted a while back about several issues I had with the order and one of the replies I got from someone on here said they knew the people and that they were good. So, I am not going over those problems again.
    this is the part of the order I am noting...
    5 Cherry Egger Pullets
    I also received 2 extra of these for a total of 7
    I have had a few conversations with people at the hatchery about these. This is what I have been told:
    1. "They are red sex-links"
    2. "They are the same thing as Isa Browns"
    3. "They are cherry eggers"
    4. "They are RIR crossed with NH"

OK...so someone please tell me all of these statements are correct about the same chickens.
    Here are some pictures of the chickens:
    [​IMG]
    I have 2 sizes I would say...in the picture above and to the left, I have 3 like that one and to the right I have 4 like those. Do you think these are the same size? Shouldn't they be?

[​IMG]

Above is a side view of the chicken to the left (in the top picture). Note the color of its legs...which are a rich gold color actually..., small comb, small wattles

[​IMG]

In this picture (the same chicken to the right in the top photo) please also note the color of its legs...which are a light yellow color actually...,larger comb, larger wattles.

Is there something wrong here??????

2. Veer67

Veer67 Chillin' With My Peeps

Your chickens look like Rhode Island Reds, the smaller RIR is a bantam. On the last photo the en on the top right is a Red Star ( also known as a Red Sex link, Cinnamon Queen, and so on).

3. WalkingOnSunshine

WalkingOnSunshine Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2008
    Ohio
    Your birds look like Cherry Eggers, which look like, but are not, Rhode Island Reds. Here's the info page from Cackle on Cherry Eggers: http://www.cacklehatchery.com/cherryeggerpage.html. They could be RIR crossed with NH, only the hatchery knows. They wouldn't be sexable at birth, though.

I also agree that the bird sticking her head in from the right in the last photo is a Red Sex Link of some description. Most hatcheries have different names for them, but they are all excellent layers of brown eggs that are sexable at birth.

Dunno why you'd get bantams in your order. Were the super teeny tiny as chicks?

They aren't ISA Browns. This is an ISA Brown:
    [​IMG]

So, to sum up, I believe the following statements are true:
    They are Cherry Eggers.
    They are RSL--you certainly have some of those, but they are the birds with the white feathers, not the birds with the black feathers in their tails

Maybe true:
    They are RIR X NH (might be true, the hatchery would keep bloodlines proprietary)

Not true:
    They are RIR
    They are the same thing as ISA Brown

Last edited: Aug 21, 2013
  4. popsicle

popsicle Chillin' With My Peeps

x2
    The ones with black tails look like my Cherry Eggers from Cackle Hatchery. However, there is quite a bit of variation within my Cherry Eggers--variation in color and size. Most of my Cherry Eggers are large, but there is one that is as small as an older Production Red I have (smaller than my Leghorn).

ETA: don't be too frustrated if that's what they are, most of mine started laying before 19-weeks.

5. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    Cherry Egger is just another term for Production Red, which is another term for what you'd get if you crossed two red birds like RIR and NH. I have no idea why the hatchery is being silly and listing them as three things.

6. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Cherry eggers are the same as production reds, just generic red hatchery birds that lay lots of brown eggs. Cherry eggers aren't sex linked. They're not ISA browns, those are a sex link.

I'd say don't worry so much about it and enjoy your red birds. The look like they'll lay well, and that's the whole point, isn't it?

1 person likes this.
  7. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Don't be frustrated. If your chickens are happy and healthy? That's all good. They are chickens. Start to finish. They don't know or care about what they are.

To clear the air, hatcheries don't sell true to breed, take to a poultry show, bred birds. Just don't.

Second, production reds? Not a breed. ISA Browns? not a breed. Anything like a red sex link? not a breed. Cherry Egger? you guessed it, not a breed. These are all just mixes, hybrids and various red combination birds most of which will be very good layers of nice brown eggs. That' it, that's all. They could call them Santa's Little Helpers if they had a mind to.

No need to be worried about what they are. The hatcheries just mix, match and blend all kinds of reddish birds and sell them with nifty, creative names to market them. I wouldn't let it bother you another minute.

If you want true bred birds that are truly this or that breed? Contact a quality breeder. For now? Enjoy your chickens for all the reasons you got them in the first place.

1 person likes this.
  8. ESofVA

ESofVA Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2012
    Keller, VA
    The frustration comes from a series of things.
    I was told originally that they did not offer insurance. After 13 of the 41 chicks arrived dead or dying, called USPS and the hatchery 2x, the hatchery told me they did but usually only offered insurance for their more expensive birds. OK...so I lost $85.00.
    I was called and informed that the blue D'Uccles I ordered were not available (I ordered early in the year for a March 11 hatch date) due to low hatch rate to pick a substitute. So, I asked for more Sebrights...I received OEGB.
    My fault for not reading more, but why is there a 7.00 fee for a small order when your order is 25 bantams and 16 LF chicks for a total of 41 chicks? That I can't blame them for.

Anyway, along with the frustration of inconsistent information being given on my reds, all together...yes, I am still frustrated and will never even consider ordering from that hatchery again.

OH...they offered me a $5.00 discount on shipping for my next order. I won't even consider that either, as I expect I wouldn't get that if I actually ordered again.

PS, I didn't mean for the gold sex-link in the 3rd pic to be considered. Sorry for that misinformation. I was only talking about the pics of the two reds.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2013
  9. WalkingOnSunshine

WalkingOnSunshine Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2008
    Ohio
    Hmm, other hatcheries will refund money for dead/dying chicks no questions asked as long as you call within about 48 hours of receiving them. I lost three from my last MMM order, but didnt' know what breed it was since I'd ordered lots of chicks that all look the same while young. MMM refunded the money as if it were the most expensive chicks in the order I'd lost, and that was their suggestion.

10. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Sorry your hatchery wouldn't make it right, that's unusual in my understanding. I usually go with MM also, and their customer service has been great.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by