Frying Question!!!!

ChicknThief

Songster
12 Years
Jan 12, 2008
Nor Cal
Ok, so I have some chicken that I need to cook tonight. I am looking at a particularly tasty recipe (http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/...aby-spinach-mashed-potatoes-recipe/index.html), but I am having a dilemma....

I don't have a frier!
barnie.gif

So here is my question.... Can I pour a ton of veggie oil in a regular pot and turn the heat up super high to get the same effect? Anyone ever done this?

That is what I use as a french frier. If you have a thermomiter you can check the temp of the greese. Don't add too much at a time and cool the greese too much.

Will just a regular ole thermometer do? And do you know exactly how hot the grease needs to be? I've never fried a thing in my life
tongue.png

No you need to use a cooking thermomiter. I have a candy/frying thermomiter and it says the greese needs to be 350. You can get one at wal-mart for a couple of $.

make sure your pot is tall enough that the greese doesn't go over the top. You need to let your meat warm up a little and not be too wet. If the greese comes over the top you can start a fire. I use a farely cheap stainless steel pot that is like 15 quarts and I rarely fill it half full of oil. I the pot cost like $15 and it will last longer that a $50 deep fryer. I got tired of replacing my fryer twice a year. (we probly eat too much fried food)
cool.png

Ok I will definitely be careful. I think the sizes of my pots are pretty ordinary, but I only need to fry 2 breasts, so I think they will suffice. Any other advice or suggestions? Thank you for being so helpful! I know I'm a noob
tongue.png

Back
Top Bottom