FS: Hand Forged Hangers/Hooks UPDATED Pg 3

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by Cetawin, Apr 30, 2009.

1. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    My DH is training under a master blacksmith (the one who made the knives for the pirates of the carribean movies) and I wanted some sturdy hangers/hooks that could handle a good amount of weight but not look trashy. Tada I got them. I like mine so much I asked him if he would offer them up...

So they are 6" overall length (from mount end to end of curl, hand forged from wrought iron, 2 screw holes in place and they can handle a lot of weight and are wide enough in the opening to act as brackets if needed. They are 7.50 each or 4 for 25.00 + shipping. It will take him 24 - 48 hours to make, heat treat and finish them.

NOTE: These are each hand forged so they will not be identical but he is very good at getting them nearly exact.

These are the 6: hangers/hooks:

[​IMG]

This is the mount end of them. One screw will suffice to mount the hanger but two adds stability and a better weight load:

[​IMG]

This is a picture of one of my 4" hangers in use on a coat rack I made:

[​IMG]

This is DHs small forge:

[​IMG]

I accept paypal at [email protected] just post here if you would like some and how many. I will check on the shipping for you. I am sure they will fit in a priority box with no problem. They are great for hanging baskets, in the coop, on the wall and just about anywhere.

Here is one of his other projects. He does hand forged nails, J hooks, garden stakes, utensil sets (spoon, spatula, fork, ladle and slotted spoon) and other neat stuff out of various metals.

A 12 th century sword in progress: This was one of three projects to pass his apprenticeship

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 8, 2009
  2. TennesseeTruly

TennesseeTruly Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2009
    Church Hill, TN
    Whoa! Amazing! I want to show these to the hubby. These will be gorgeous on my bird house, barn, etc.

I'll get back to you after I show these to him!!

Laurie

3. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    Oh yes they would. I have four in/on my coop. 1 inside had the the heat lamp hanging from it, 1 has their grit feeder hanging from it and the 2 outside are on the side of the coop and my egg basket hangs on one and a solar lantern hangs on the other.

If you want them larger than the 6" for large hanging baskets, let me know and I will get a cost from him. He knows how much the wrought iron costs...I do not pay attention to that stuff. [​IMG] I can take a picture of the larger ones if you want to see them.

4. Chic-n-farmer

Chic-n-farmer Showers of Blessings

Does he make gravity hooks that fit a standard 2 x 4?

5. katrinag

katrinag Chillin' With My Peeps

Nice. This is a lost art.

6. TennesseeTruly

Mar 5, 2009
    Church Hill, TN
    Yes, please ask him about a price for brackets for large hanging baskets. I agree that this is a lost art. I'm going to send this link to my sister in law that lives in NY.

My brother in law and sister in law do Revolutionary War re-enactments and I think they would love some of these as well for their barn and such.

Your husband does great work, way to go!

Laurie

Last edited: Apr 30, 2009
  7. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    Quote:Yes he does and can. He would ask what weight load you are looking for? Do you want it curled like the hangers? Do you want a double? How much of a 'hook' or 'hanger' would you like?

They are not very expensive, depending on what you want would determine the price he would quote you. He also said if you wanted to see a specific sample he would make one to your specifications for me to photograph. He is such an easy-going guy.

Here are some double gravity hooks for my utensil and pot rack, they are smaller of course because they slide over the metal rack edge, but he could do the same thing for you for a 2 x 4

Utensil size

[​IMG]

a larger one, pot/pan size (this one is currently being used outside in the elements

[​IMG]

8. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    Quote:Thank you all for the compliments, I have relayed them and he smiled, blushed and said "tell them thanks a bunch".

Laurie he said the cost difference would not be that much as the wrought iron used is not that much more, it just takes a little longer.

So, here are the sizes and prices.

4" 6.50 ea or 4/ 21.00
    6" 7.50 ea or 4/ 25.00
    9" 8.50 ea or 4/ 29.00
    12" 9.50 ea or 4/ 33.00

He knows some of my hanging baskets need only 10"and I mentioned that to him and he said if you wanted a 10" or 11", he would do it for you just add .50 to the cost of each.

9. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    I thought I would share some pics of some of the other stuff he does ...

This is my trivet that he made me for Christmas and it has been a fabulous addition to my kitchen. He is currently working on one that I want which is rectangular or oval but large enough for the big baking dishes like a 9 x 12.

[​IMG]

I have an entire set of cooking utensils...Large Spoon, Slotted Spoon, Fork, Spatula and Ladle that match my trivet handle. he has just done a wrapped leaf design which I love and have confiscated the first large spoon. He accidentially wrapped it the wrong way but I like it fine...the leaf acts like a thumb rest and it is totally cool.

[​IMG]

The leaf design up close, he marks each leaf with veins by hand

[​IMG]

The handle section of the spoon showing the wrapping...which make a nice hanging loop for the spoon

[​IMG]

For the individual who PMd about what a J hook is...it is a hook that is nailed in like an ordinary nail...but much tougher. Here are 3 different sizes that I have here around the house

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

the 'nail' portion of the J hook

[​IMG]

So, if anyone wants anything just let me know. He is really enjoying making the items and learning new techniques. The blacksmith shop has nothing electric...the master's house does not either. Everything in it is around period 18th century...so they work hard but love doing it. Thanks so much for looking and sharing the appreciation of doing things the old way, so to speak.

10. TennesseeTruly

Mar 5, 2009
    Church Hill, TN
    I wanted to let you know that I didn't forget about you. My husband is trying to decide what sizes he'd like.

This is an awesome talent that your husband has and is much appreciated!

I completely totally believe in the "old ways"

Laurie

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by