FS - Oregon Handmade Ladies Deer Wrap Mocassins With Floral Beading

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by Cetawin, Jan 8, 2010.

1. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    This is a pair of Ladies mocassins handmade from braintan deerhide and smoked to a nice golden color. They have been hand sewn using artifical sinew and beaded on each toe using glass seed beads in a floral pattern. They have a braintan deer hide insole and an added Buffalo Hide outer sole which was machine sewn. The mocassins were measured across the outer sole at 9 1/2" Long x 3 1/2" Wide at the widest part of the foot. Socks could be worn with them if you wanted or needed to. They are mid-calf height.

These mocassins are made so that the outer soles can be replaced whenever they may need it but being made of Buffalo hide, they can take punishment. You could take them to a shoe repair shop and have flat standard soles added to them without damaging the moc itself. The mocassins is one pieces with the wraps attached traditionally by leather lacing and a second inner deerhide sole is inside. So, there are three layers between your foot and the ground. You will not find a more comfortable footwear unless your feet are not the size of the mocs. My personal mocs do not have a buffalo hide outer sole and I have only replaced the soles twice in the last 25 years.

A close up of the beadwork:

[​IMG]

A picture of the buffalo hide outer soles:

[​IMG]

Braintanning is the old native method of tanning hides. It is longer lasting than commerical and chemical tanned leather. The Smithsonian is full of braintanned (buckskin) items that are 100 years old or more and still in like new condition. This method of tanning combined with the smoking process, preserves the hide. Should it become wet, it will not turn into rawhide as an unsmoked hide will do...if these become wet, they will stiff a little and you just rub them back to softness with your hand.

When you first get these mocs, I would ask that you wear them outside in the morning dew and get them damp...then wear them until they dry. This molds the moc to your foot shape and it will fit your foot like a soft warm glove.

I normal sell these starting at $ 125.00 but I am trying to downsize on items in the house for a cross-country move in the Spring and this is the last pair I have already sewn together and beaded.

Please feel free to ask me any questions you may have. I accept Paypal and checks, however, I will not ship an item until the check clears my account.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2010
  2. bargain

bargain Love God, Hubby & farm Premium Member

Apr 13, 2008
    Bowdon, GA
    Beautiful work!

3. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    Thank you. [​IMG]

4. froggie71

froggie71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2009
    Shamong, NJ
    Cetawin those are beautiful! [​IMG] I don't have a need for them, but had to say they you do beautiful work!

5. AHappychick

AHappychick Wanna-be Farmer

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    oh your work is truly amazing so unique and heartfelt. If I thought for a second that I would be able to wear them I would buy in a second!!

6. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    Thank you both for the kind words. I love my "house mocs" I wear them constantly because they are so comfy. [​IMG]

7. blueskylen

blueskylen Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2008
    WV
    Did you do the brain tanning yourself? We went to a native american demonstration in PA, and there was a man doing the brain tanning. We talked to him for quite a while. I believe that he was going to make a gun sling out of the one he was doing.

8. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    The hide for these particular mocs was done by DH but I do braintan the hides as well. I like doing moose as well. My fully beaded regalia mocs are made of moose.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by